Which new Motherboard to buy (need to SLIC 2.1)?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vwgolfman, Dec 22, 2009.

1. vwgolfman

vwgolfman MDL Junior Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Hi,

I am currently running Windows 7 using a BIOS mod and SLP Key.

I now want to upgrade my Motherboard, CPU and RAM.

Please can I ask which NEW or modern/current Motherboards have tested SLIC 2.1 modified BIOS's available from the clever guys on this site?

Are there any Motherboards I should avoid (those with BIOS's which can't be modified to incorporate SLIC 2.1)?

Many thanks for your advice.

2. Mr Been

Mr Been MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2008
    #2 Mr Been, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
    I propose to buy a GIGABYTE Motherboard, (AWARD Bios), easy to modify the Bios and GA-P55A-UD3 has already been tested (SLIC 2.1) and with the newest standard (SATA3 & USB3).

3. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #3 catdog215, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Asus all the way. Don't buy a crappy board like MSI or Gigabyte, they are not known for their reliability and are not designed as well as Asus boards.

Buy something with an Intel chipset too, this way you aren't stuck with horrible north/southbridge implementation by someone like ATI or Nvidia (they make great video cards but their chipsets are still light years away from Intel).

Really though it comes down to having either an AMI or Award BIOS because those are the easiest to mod.

This is all personal preference and opinion, some people like other makes/models, but I prefer Asus for every motherboard because I have never had an issue with them.

5. Ankebut

Ankebut MDL Junior Member

Aug 30, 2009
    @HSCHronic: Although I am Asus MB user, Gigagyte ist NOT CRAP...Gigabyte is also a very good manufacturer...especially with their super mainboards...MSI is pure bulls**t.

6. LeoKing

LeoKing MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    I agree with Ankebut, Gigabyte mobos are excellent ones. I've used several of them in the last 5 years and they're all great mobos that have lots of features.

7. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    MSI is but gigabyte not. I use a Gigabyte board for 2 years now and its more stable then my last asus board (crosshair) :rolleyes:

8. el6

el6 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2008
    #8 el6, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    well thanks for setting the record straight on Gigabyte boards, I had only been going to word of mouth of a few people and have never built a system with them. I will keep them in mind next time I look to build a system. Do they make server boards too or only workstation/desktop boards?

10. icewater

icewater MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    mobo

I build about a little over a hundred PC's a year, mostly with Gigabyte or Intel boards. I have never ran across a single bad Gigabyte board. I use them in my 3 work/home PC's.

11. mhzjunkie

mhzjunkie MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2009
    Yeah, they do it all. In all my years of messing with computers, as far as quality and reliability between Gigabyte and Asus, I'd say it's a toss up.

I mainly use Gigabyte boards.

12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I'd go for ASUS all the way. They're rock solid and very reliable for years to come.
    They oc very easy and stable, they're very reliable to flash. They keep on going for 10 years if they have to...

I currently have a P5B. It's 3 years old and solid as a rock. Never a glitch, never a hickup. It has my E6600 clocked 60% without any trouble. I've flashed it's BIOS for dozens of times, never had issues.

The new P5P55D is a very good one, in fact gonna be my next board in a couple of months. My P5B is then gonna run in an older PC, to run for another 5 years...

I had an MSI once, and a Gigabyte once...always went back to ASUS, cause they weren't nearly as good. My own experience though...

13. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    how about boards frm BIOSTAR ??? they are cheap nd reliable....never had a prblm with dem.........

14. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    I always used asus mobos.
    i dont know a mobo easier to mode than asus.
    i talk about ASUS mobo but with intel chipset also.
    that's what i prefere,
    i bought the P6T deluxe v2 with the coreI7 920, modded in 5 seconds, win7 64 installed in 5 mins with usb bootable key.
    when u never have probs with something and one day you're in the space, and u change your choice, then u're asking why i bought that, i know that asus+intel chipset is a secure choice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. sps

sps MDL Member

Feb 6, 2008
    #15 sps, Dec 23, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
    These new boards seem to be great!