Which OS editions support Hyper-V Integration Components

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Myrrh, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #1 Myrrh, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
    From personal experience, the following OS editions have Hyper-V Integration built in, no need to install anything:

- Win7 Professional, Enterprise, Ultimate
    - Server 2008R2 Standard, Enterprise, DataCenter, HPC

These do not, and it cannot be enabled even by "inserting" the Integration Components "disc" because Win7/2008R2 are assumed to have it built in:

- Win7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium
    - Server 2008R2 Foundation

I have no knowledge of the behavior of other editions of Server 2008R2 (Small Business, Essential, etc).

I believe, but haven't personally verified, that all editions of XP(SP2+), Server 2003(SP1+), Vista and Server 2008 will integrate because that is installed from the Integration Components "disc"

Anything prior to XP(SP2) or Server 2003(SP1) is completely unsupported and must use the legacy hardware emulation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi Myrrh,
    Good idea to have a list of which components work where. :cool:

Here my little contribution:
    Small Business Server, Essential, and Vail have the Hyper-V Components built-in.

I thought it was XP SP3 and SVR2003 SP2 ?
    But I could be getting confused with XP Mode. ???

After switching to the legacy hardware, installing the VM Additions from 'Virtual Server 2005 SP1' will give you 'Basic' functionality which may be helpful in an emergency.