Which Registry Cleaner Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by KiwiDave, Nov 22, 2010.

1. XDye

XDye MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2011
    CCleaner (3.02)

2. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    Everytime I have just finished using cCleaner, I use "Registry Repair Wizard 2010" and it always finds something extra to remove....

3. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I will never use a reg cleaner anymore. It messed up my OS. Advanced Systemcare for example, killed my bluetoot. Somthing like "bluetoot stackservice fail to start". I hadd to reinstall OS to fix it. And YES, it was because of the reg cleaner.

4. gamepoint

gamepoint MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2010
    That "something extra" might probably messed up your OS later.You dont need a reg cleaner

5. mrthuvi

mrthuvi MDL Member

Apr 2, 2008
    They are useless and dangerous.

6. gamepoint

Jan 4, 2010
    For those who blindly delete the reg issues..yes:p

7. Tatletz

Tatletz MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2010
    This was posted in SevenForums:

Windows is a closed source system. Developers of registry cleaners do not have the core code of Win 7 and are not working on definitive information, but rather they are going on past knowledge and experience. Automatic cleaners will usually have to do some guesswork.
    Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.
    My advice for the average computer user is DO NOT use a registry cleaner. If you do not have knowledge of the registry, then you are far better off leaving it alone, and definitely not placing blind trust in a program to do the job for you.
    Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.
    Registry defragger programs are a myth, too. They might trim the registry size by 8-12MB; but will not improve operating system performance. In fact, your programs’ performance will decrease.
    Win 7 does not need a registry cleaner. Forget all the "wisdom" you learned about XP. Win 7 is not XP and does not manage the registry the same as XP.
    Win 7 is much more efficient at managing the registry than previous Windows versions. If you are very knowledgeable of the registry, you can use Ccleaner to delete keys left over when uninstalling programs. However, these few keys will not make 1 millisecond's difference in performance. If you run Ccleaner or any other registry cleaner and do not know precisely what you are doing, you will have problems down the road. There are no gains to be had from using a registry cleaner and the risk is great.
    Using a "registry cleaner" for "standard maintenance" on a regular basis merely reduces the time intervals between failures!

8. gamepoint

Jan 4, 2010
    in a similar manner..BUYING those "registry optimizers and utilities" are a waste of money..

9. mzakho

mzakho MDL Member

Nov 22, 2008
    I use CCleaner, Find it very good

10. Tatletz

Tatletz MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2010
    The best treatment for the registry => Fresh windows install, and NO registry cleaners AT ALL :nono3:

11. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I use windows manager's 1-click set with task daily and all's good here :eek:

12. Trancemaster

Trancemaster MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2011
    I use CCleaner.
    I used Tune up before but since version 2009 it starts annoying me:)

13. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    +1 from me, perfect answer

sebus

14. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    If you don't dirty, you don't have to clean.

I have very few programs installed. Most programs I use are natively portable, or made portable by me.

This way I can carry on the same Windows install for two years or more.

15. KawakSallas

KawakSallas MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2013
    Usually, I install Windows and all the programs I need, then I run CCleander, TuneUp Utilities, AVG PC TuneUp and Norton Utilities. That's right, 4 applications.
    It founds up to 500+ invalid entries.

After this, I don't use Registry tools anymore.

16. wtarkan

wtarkan MDL Member

Sep 1, 2009
  17. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    same here, Macrium Reflect FTW to create images of Windows after all is setup and running perfect and restore back when i feel something is wrong

registry cleaners do more harm and no good

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use Registra Registry Manager and firstly backup the Registry BEFORE doing any changes, so I could easy restore if something went wrong! And I didn't use any Registration Cleaner, instead I do the required changes and cleaning just manual, after the backup of the Registry!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. MysTikAL3

MysTikAL3 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2013
    CCLeaner if needed after uninstalls...safely removes leftover junk.
    I always create a backup (takes 2 seconds), but have never needed to restore one..;)

20. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you would do an search for what left over even by CCleaner using Registra Registry Manager, you may would wonder!! That could be from just a few entries up to above 100!