Which version of windows 10 should i go for and why?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by PaulTroll1282, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    What's LSTB?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :tooth: :p

3. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    "Less $#!t To Break" version!

About the LTSB "N" version...I know it is without Media Player which sounds great to me, but anything else? Does it lack codecs and everything or just the player or what? I may give that one a try since I never use Windows Media Player anyway, I have much better programs for all that stuff. I always wondered about that and if not having Media Player might take some other feature I hadn't thought of with it.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  5. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    #25 Dude Guyman, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Sounds like a feature to me! I don't own a smart phone and never will. Yeah I knew it was an "anti-monopoly" thing, but curious as to what exactly is missing besides Media Player...I'll install it and find out. Thanks.

Now if I can just find a version with no Defender, no System Restore, telemetry, search, indexing, superfetch, firewall, homegroup, offline files....and on.......and on.......and on.........

EDIT: Thanks for that list above...still sounds like a feature to me! That looks almost like a partial list of "junk I turn off/disable".

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Read the list ;)

7. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Easy, find a Cave with a big rock wall and write away. Nothing to delete then.

8. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    :evil:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. wyatt23

wyatt23 MDL Member

Apr 2, 2017
    LTSB N works with mobile phones as long as they are seen as a usb mass storage device.

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    LTSB version sucks. i dont like it.

11. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    #31 Dude Guyman, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    I tried that, but the cave I found had someones left over pottery and tools, and all this bad artwork on the walls and when I was cleaning all that off, I noticed a bunch of this shiny, yellowish, metalic crap stuck in the walls...all over the place, so I left. Too much work cleaning all that up. Too bad because there was this weird, very decorative box with handles on it in there too that had a faint glow, and it was really warm when I sat on it. Would have been nice in the winter.

12. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    did u find any cave man caca;)

13. kapilsharma22

kapilsharma22 MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2017
    According to my knowledge and Windows 10 enterprise is the best answer for it.

14. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    I tried the "N" version of LTSB. Didn't care for it as much as regular LTSB, though not having Media Player junk was nice. Some things that seemed "off" to me that are not so in regular LTSB. In the first few minutes I noticed:
    1. The username folder had different icon like it, or something in it, was "corrupted". Probably normal just due to the media folders in it not being libraries or something?
    2. Un-deletable OneDrive folders (files in use by something else), and when running my usual "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall" to remove it, there is just an error about OneDriveSetup.exe not existing.
    3. Several new (to me) re-occuring errors in event viewer that I did not feel like sorting out.
    4. An annoying "Contact Support" icon (and OneDrive icon) kept appearing in the start menu that I never see in standard LTSB.

So I got annoyed and restored my regular LTSB backup.

15. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Odd. I have used Windows Enterprise LTSB N edition as has many other folks and I don't recall any such errors. Perhaps you had a bad install? :confused: I would suggest you double check that your ISO was not corrupt during the download or remake your USB with a different drive (check for errors too).

In any case, you can easily remove further components using MSMG https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/msmg-toolkit.50572/

16. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    #36 Dude Guyman, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    I tried again and no problems, so either something just went wonky, or I did a booboo somewhere along the way. I used DISM to remove the contact support thing, then copied OneDriveSetup.exe from WINSXS to %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\ and then ran that command and it worked nicely. So yeah, I'm liking it this time around. Another thing that is missing from this N version is the GameDVR, but I don't use it anyway, and as usual if I need something like that, there are better programs.

EDIT: Got errors about missing DLL files every time I played media files with MPC-HC. Installing the "Media Pack" from M$ fixes it but, makes it into the normal version with Media Player, etc. So, no "N" version for me. Might as well just keep the normal LTSB.

17. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Anyone else find it incredibly amusing how MS comes out every 6 months with an update that completely changes your carefully set up OS and introduce UI changes that mess up your workflow and a ton of useless s**t you never asked for?

IDK maybe it works for some folks. But my PC is not my smartphone.

18. kgtuning

kgtuning MDL Member

Aug 26, 2015
    That's one of the reasons I use ltsb. I don't want feature updates.

19. softfinds

softfinds MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2017
    I use Windows 10 Pro and I've activated my copy with Windows 7 Pro activation key.

20. fmboots

fmboots MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2017
    its for retards like me..:)