Which version of Windows is better?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by aboskolo, Dec 25, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Ok as I though you have no idea about what's changed.

It's enough for me. Thanks.

2. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Why would you have a problem with that? U say it like it is suppose to mean something? LTSB is my choice but you appear to slam that while inform others to do the exact opposite :confused: Oh should I use 1511 pro?

Regards

3. esemef

esemef MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2013
    #43 esemef, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    As I thought you were trolling all along.

You have no idea what changes in your LTSB install either by your logic. Just because they don't change the build number doesn't mean there aren't changes you don't want.

I don't have a problem with it. I'm not informing anyone to do anything other than spreading lies that LTSB is universally better. LTSB isn't magical and to maintain stability they will avoid fixing some bugs that their enterprise customers rely on being broken. You can run Windows 98/XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/Server for all I care.

If someone comes here because they don't know how to make the decision, then it's more likely that Pro is going to be better for them than LTSB. If the first thing they do is get indoctrinated into a cult then they have two problems.

Being a luddite is perfectly valid, but it does put an extra strain on you in the long term. You need to be able to weigh that up and make an informed decision whether it's worth it for you. For me (and I believe the majority of people) it isn't, being a sheeple has benefits.

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

No sir. Unlike you I can detail each single difference between the build 10240 and 1511 and between pro and LTSB.

And FYI I'm using the 10586 based "ghetto LTSB" right now, because there is a single feature that I like a lot on 10586, notably the improved snap function for classic/desktop programs (that obviously you didn't noticed).

But surely I didn't minf to use W10 at all if we didn't manage to get WMC running on it (yes a TWELVE years old SW, that doesn't have a replacement on W10)

Surely I don't use W10 or W10 b10586 because laughable and inexistent performance enhancements.

5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    The best choice is the one you like BEST. My Self I prefer LTSB 2015. works for all that I want and need.
    so to SLAM someone for there choice or preference. is showing your ability to be AH

6. JP2015

JP2015 MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2015
    #46 JP2015, Dec 27, 2015
    @ esemef,

Your bang on in what your stating before anyone knows it " the end of the desktop is coming around the corner " and most of these types of forums will fade into history and be redundant...

Esemf you should inform each and everyone to get their heads out of the sand and be prepared for the new way of computing after 2020 via smartphone or tablet

RIP Desktop

Anything that relies or works in conjunction with Android is where the major big bucks and future is heading and very quick....

chartoftheday_1761_Connected_device_shipment_forecast_n.jpg

7. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    You are saying this because some are using windows 10 ltsb? Yes they must hate change as they will not upgrade to the latest GeForce driver by M$. :wallhead:

You must use them like a toy and not for any real engineering or design/development? You base this on mobile phones and tablets? Revit for android the way of the future.

Regards

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Android "evolution" is even worse, with ICS we loose the physical buttons, with Jelly bean the flash support, the ability of use the filesystem as normal storage and the freedom of tethering, kit kat removed the ability to freely manage the files, and the text reflowing outside opera and operamini, just to mention few obvious things, but the list is way larger.

Not to mention the idiotic UI "refinement" that moved the settings on the upper corner just when the smartphones started to have an huge size.

Really. If in windows the answer to "newer is better?" can be "maybe", on Android the same answer is "definitely not".

9. MrKaon

MrKaon MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    +1 for LTSB
    Pure Windows OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Come on T-S we all know it is for the colored title bars dude. Admitting it is the first step to recovery ;). Appears the division that has started is a war between small devices for toys and the ones that come from dos have no opinion. If M$ starts to wipe any form of desktop for production workstation than you will see them loose that base also. Not all think these are for texting and facebook

Regards

11. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    You are probably right, but how will real work be done? eg. accounting spreadsheets, graphic design, Photoshop, large Word documents. I have accounting records that I cannot afford to lose, and do have plenty of backup, and six machines capable of running them. I find a 24 inch monitor the smallest I want to use, and cannot physically cope with something much smaller. Just hope they will see me out.

12. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Watch yourself anyone that uses a computer for actual productive economic and global production gets labeled a Neanderthal here, maybe better than one of those guys with tinfoil on their heads, but just barely ;). Back ups are good for peace of mind, oh M$ now has a cloud for that :D.

You are not alone (bigger than 24" please and dual, thanks to a start by matrox). The best of the season to you.

Regards

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Personally I'm really worried about the future, when the iphones (and alike) zombies kids, used just to push some colored buttons w/o thinking, will grow and will start to come to responsibility positions :(

14. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    I hear you, I thought the next generation would be tech savvy and I would stop having to spoon feed and baby. That has not been the case, just more arrogant as to not listen, with no more in depth ability than the stereotype 50 somethings. All we know we have learnt from someone you just need to be open to listening and learning, the next generation already knows it and therefore need not listen (also stereotyping).

Windows 10 ghetto desktop is faster than 7 and 8 no matter which version, just need that new gen tech savvy to config it.

Regards

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #55 T-S, Dec 27, 2015
    W8 /8.1 /10 are more or less on par. W8 is slightly faster than the successors but mainly because it's the poorest in functions.

W7 is definitely slower especially on boot time, but has also a lot of things that where removed in the later OSes.

Some of them were unnecessary for most people some of them were useful.

Surely on W8/8.1/10 there are also proper improvements in kernel and services organization but the speed comes mostly from the "diet".

Curiosity is the engine of the evolution. There isn't any
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]stereotype involved looking at nowadays kids (luckily not all of them) that are just able to chat on facebook and push a button to get something from the market. It's a sad reality.

[/FONT]

16. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #56 lostpassword, Dec 27, 2015
    Some very interesting responses to my post, and I am not trying to be arrogant. I regard this brilliant forum as an education resource, and a few members have given me invaluable help. I think you are correct in the way it will go, but I cannot physically use a smartphone or i Pad. I have found the increase in screen sizes to be a blessing, especially on an Excel Spreadsheet where you can see more at a decent font size. I am 60 + years old, and old age will catch up with all, until the scientists make the anti-ageing pill.
    What is interesting is that the opposite is happening with TVs in the UK where 40 inch is no longer regarded as huge. 48 inch is becoming normal, and with even thinner panels one can see 60 inch becoming used. As for watching TV on a 6 inch screen what is the point? I know it works anywhere, but if people are online/watching TV 24 hours a day it will not improve their health. You then get all the people not looking where they are going on the pavement, are we non smart phone users meant to bow down and worship them?

17. onepic

onepic MDL Junior Member

Oct 7, 2011
    Best windows 10 version - Enterprise N 10240 LTSB + Start is Back v1.1.x !

18. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    But you can't do a dam thing with it. It reminds me of going to an amusement park only to find an empty lot. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. kuroda

kuroda MDL Senior Member

Aug 25, 2012
    ..windows vista....:D

Windows 10 IoT Core Build 11088.1000