Who remembers Alta Vista?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by digiquandry, Dec 20, 2018.

1. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    I saw a website today that tried to romanticize Alta Vista as the first pre-Google search engine.

To me, it was anything but.

I had my scariest computer experience simply by going to that website. I knew nothing about computer security then, and the moment I arrived at their page my browser got hijacked. A million popups started replicating on my VGA monitor, faster than I could close them.

In short time, my 2G of RAM was totally saturated and within minutes Windows XP froze completely. Not knowing what to do, I re-booted my computer...then the REAL fun happened. My first computer virus.

Before TOR, if you wanted to know what the Dark Web was all you had to do was visit Alta Vista. You were guaranteed immediate DLL injection. The internet was the "Wild Wild West" back then.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    what site is that?

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
  5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    I know what alta vista is i understood he saw a site that was emulating alta vista search engine.

6. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Member

Sep 13, 2015
    That is possible. I was a real noob back then and it was so long ago. But I am pretty sure it was the official domain.

7. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    #7 foxyrick, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    LOL - yeah, I remember Alta Vista. And Netscape Navigator - even back then we were trying to avoid Microsoft edit:Explorer - why on earth did I write Outlook at first??? (oh yes, I had just been fiddling with it).

Also Deja News (a usenet search engine) before it got acquired by google. I once earned the nickname 'DejaBorg' on usenet because my own archives of some groups almost rivalled Deja's (and my signature was TheBorg - well, it was almost original at the time).

Who remembers using gopher?

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  9. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thank you for that @Michaela Joy , what a great read! This bit tickled me:

McCahill told Berners-Lee that he would need to look at the Web more closely. But it wasn’t much to look at when McCahill went back to Minnesota and examined it. There were no graphics yet. It was still only running on NeXT computers. “I wasn’t feeling it,” McCahill says. I told him, ‘Tim, I don’t think so.’ Of course, I look back and say, ‘I might have been wrong.’ ” [my emphasis]​

10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I also remember AOL (Arseholes On Line :D ) as a nightmare "service"... Such a nasty and aggressive "business attitude" - how did it survive for so long?

11. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Yeah, I had a brief time on AOL in the UK. Those VAT-dodging, false-advertising, accounts-fiddling scum. I didn't stay for long before dumping them.

I only went to AOL because Pipex limited my account due to downloading too much:nono:, and there weren't many choices back then. Downloading too much... on a 14.4/28.8 kbps dial-up... :roll1:

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Precisely! :)

13. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    AOL back then use to send me floppys & CDs every 6 months or so, I never installed any of them but did take a look @ their webpage (back in the 90's).
    Now my Verizon email addy uses AOL mail as their access page, I think Verizon my of absorbed AOL sometime awhile back.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Verizon also bought out Yahoo and it's email about a year ago.

15. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I used Infoseek pre google. got plenty of viruses from AOL and FATE X and all that crap. it was truly crazy back then. now it's just annoying Twitter spam.

or go to USATODAY in Microsoft Edge with nothing blocked. that website is atrocious. if you wanna know something go browse the latest journal on Congress.gov. they aren't really that long and u can search to see what your Representative or Senator said on any given day instead of suffering through local news adverts and Twitter spam. I was reading the other day that like 3 IRS officials got suspended and received heavy fines and were re-hired. I was like Wtf?

a lot of this stuff never comes out until months later. FOIA requests take years sometimes.

16. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    Marvel remembers as it was in Captain Marvel.

17. CaLy

CaLy MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2015
    yeah and the translator was babelfish

18. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    The web in general can be like that, thank goodness for ad blockers, it's barely usable without one. I have a fast connection and if I turn off my filter the browser slows down noticeably from all the crap most web sites serve up.

Alta Vista was the first search engine I called home. I actually thought it was really well done. You could use logic terms in searches to really tune them. For example this and that or this and not that. Then they went the retard way lacking those controls like Google. I think I went to Yahoo or something after that. I've had to live without those logic controls since. Now I just use retard Google like everyone else.

19. NiHiLisT

NiHiLisT MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Here: Thank you for reminding me that I'm old now.
    :D

20. jed1949

jed1949 MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2015
    Sure was.

Around that time, I got my first pc and thought 'where's all that pr0n I've heard about' - I'd only previously used the internet at college and the local library where you have to behave.

I soon found what I was looking for, and was so engrossed I never noticed my modem re-dialling (remember that sound ?). I'd clicked something that had downloaded a script to change my dial-up number to a premium number. Looking at naughty pics for an hour had cost me about £100.

If I hadn't noticed what was going on, even regular surfing would have still been charged at £1.50 a minute - my next phone bill would have been astronomical.

Wild West indeed.