Who remembers Alta Vista?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by digiquandry, Dec 20, 2018.

1. digiquandry

digiquandry MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2015
    I saw a website today that tried to romanticize Alta Vista as the first pre-Google search engine.

To me, it was anything but.

I had my scariest computer experience simply by going to that website. I knew nothing about computer security then, and the moment I arrived at their page my browser got hijacked. A million popups started replicating on my VGA monitor, faster than I could close them.

In short time, my 2G of RAM was totally saturated and within minutes Windows XP froze completely. Not knowing what to do, I re-booted my computer...then the REAL fun happened. My first computer virus.

Before TOR, if you wanted to know what the Dark Web was all you had to do was visit Alta Vista. You were guaranteed immediate DLL injection. The internet was the "Wild Wild West" back then.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    what site is that?

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. digiquandry

Sep 13, 2015
  5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    I know what alta vista is i understood he saw a site that was emulating alta vista search engine.

6. digiquandry

Sep 13, 2015
    That is possible. I was a real noob back then and it was so long ago. But I am pretty sure it was the official domain.

7. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2011
    #7 foxyrick, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    LOL - yeah, I remember Alta Vista. And Netscape Navigator - even back then we were trying to avoid Microsoft edit:Explorer - why on earth did I write Outlook at first??? (oh yes, I had just been fiddling with it).

Also Deja News (a usenet search engine) before it got acquired by google. I once earned the nickname 'DejaBorg' on usenet because my own archives of some groups almost rivalled Deja's (and my signature was TheBorg - well, it was almost original at the time).

Who remembers using gopher?

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  9. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thank you for that @Michaela Joy , what a great read! This bit tickled me:

McCahill told Berners-Lee that he would need to look at the Web more closely. But it wasn’t much to look at when McCahill went back to Minnesota and examined it. There were no graphics yet. It was still only running on NeXT computers. “I wasn’t feeling it,” McCahill says. I told him, ‘Tim, I don’t think so.’ Of course, I look back and say, ‘I might have been wrong.’ ” [my emphasis]​