WHS drops network connection

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Dave P, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Dave P

Dave P MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2010
    I've installed WHS (oem) on a system I put together. Everything runs fine untill one of the client computers backs up. The backup starts, gets to anywhere from 47% to 94% then the computer with WHS drops the connection completely. I have to reboot the WHS computer to get the net connection back. It drops the connection when the progress screen message says "reconfiguring network drive". My guess is a firewall thing? I've tried static IPs.. Thanx

MB: Asus M3N78-VM
    PROC: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
    Mem: 2gb
    Drives: 3 western digital 250 Gb sata 3.0

2. derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    not sure if this helps. in 95% of my cases it was the drive WHS tried to back up from which had either bad sectors or corrupted files. I do remember loosing connection to WHS when it reached such a state in some instances. scan the drive it's trying to backup (or schedule a system scan on boot). Sometimes removing the drive from the backup entirely and adding it back to WHS helped also.
    good luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dave P

Dave P MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2010
    Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I did run chkdsk and deleted all my previous backups, removed and added it back. It ran a manual backup with no problem. Gotta wait and see if it will do an automatic. I hadn't thought that a client pc could be at fault, but then it seemed logical.

4. Dave P

Dave P MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2010
    After running chkdsk on the vista client, it completed the backup, but still drop the net connection. I formatted the server, did a clean install in case I may have did something wrong the first time, and still the same thing. It the OS on the "client" doesn't seem to matter either. Same thing happens with a XP "client". It loses the net connection completely once an automatic backup is completed. File transfers work fine. Both ways. To and from the WHS server. My "Videos" folder is about 200 gigs. I've moved it back and forth without a hitch. This is perplexing...