WHS PP3 or Server2003

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Motoguru, May 27, 2011.

1. Motoguru

Motoguru MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    Hi,
    Looking to build a home server to replace a couple limited NAS machines I have.

Any advice on which server program to use?
    Seeing as WHS is based on Server03 what are the pros and cons of each?

I have no machine issues for this project.

I just want an easy to set-up, use, and maintain home server.

I have both programs already so its just a matter of making the final decision.

Looking for input guys!

Thanks

2. vinodh

vinodh MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    I recommend Windows Home Server. Works nice and easy to setup.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #3 sebus, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
    Openfiler/FreeNAS on home made up hardware or just buy proper NAS if you can afford it (Synology or Qnap)
    You will NOT get any acceptable performance from any other brand (Readynas got bast****ed by Netgear)

sebus

4. Motoguru

Motoguru MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    Thanks Serbus for the info on FreeNAS and Openfiler.
    As I said earlier, Im over a pre-built NAS. After having 3 different brands and unhappy with all of them.
    They are usually priced too high, limited configurations, run warm and have slow transfer speeds.

I would rather build my own as I wish and want a system that is accessible from the internet.
    Im leaning towards WHS.

On a different note, what happened to this site? Ive been offed twice now right in the middle of typing this message and just leaving for coffee and a RR break.
    Ive had it happen whilst browsing and reading the forums as well. You cant keep a guy on for 10 minutes without getting booted? The MODS need to up the timeout to an hour instead of minutes. I belong to many forums and have never seen such quick action to kick you off! Its really annoying...