Why are you still using Windows 7? - Poll from ZDNet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by erpsterm35, Oct 10, 2020.

1. samuraikid

samuraikid MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2018
    November Steam Database :)

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. carlosbattousai

carlosbattousai MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2020
    Main reason there's nothing about Windows 10 I like, period.
    1. The Windows 10 half table U.I is disgusting and confusing.
    2. The mandatory updates are a deal breaker because they BREAK my PC. I don't have the time or will power to get send an update then have to spend an afternoon on my phone trying to find a work around and likely lose what I was working on.
    3. Ads, wtf? Windows 10 menu feels like scrolling though Facebook and Instagram, ads,ads,ads NOPE!!!!

3. Whiznot

Whiznot MDL Member

Nov 5, 2009
    My DVR is an HD Homerun Prime. My cable provider's sports channels require the protected path so WMC on Windows 7 works. My computer is old with an AMD780G MB but I don't game or need more speed. I have a backup Windows 10 LTSB drive and use a Raspberry Pi for bedroom use.

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    (very) long story short?

Because win10 s*cks more b*lls than a ten dollar ho*

Scuse my french. ;)

5. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    No, but you can always 'choose' to. I choose not to get involved with MS's current way of doing things.
    Until it literally breaks, I'm on win7 exclusively. When it finally does break, I'll move to linux for online stuff and STILL keep using win7 for all offline stuff.

I choose to, and it has little to do with living in the past. I'm moving forward, but NOT in the way MS is trying to force us to. ;)

Free will my friend. Free f*ing will. There's always a choice. Just look at the whole corona BS these days and beware what everyone is 'choosing' for...case in point. <3

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009

I agree. Spread over the years since it has been released, I've tried no less than 4 times to get going with win10, and each time had to move away from it, because it is just a frickin nightmare to work with.
    Win7 is still just set and forget. Win10? You'll be up every evening and night figuring out workarounds for God knows what. Personally, I'm getting way too old for that crap. Moving on, and away from windows once 7 'breaks'. Until now, it runs like a charm though. Always has!

7. CanAmGirlGuide

CanAmGirlGuide MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2021
    I still have an old Acer XP netbook I use for word processing and other simple tasks. I wasn't initially too thrilled about Windows 7 after having been an XP user for so long, but I'm content now with these being the last Windows editions I'll ever have. I wasn't a fan of the clunky interface of W8, and have heard nothing but horror stories about W10, especially WRT telemetry and tracking. Call me old-school, but I'm not all that fond of tablets or smartphones to begin with, and I really don't like the idea of my system being held in the "cloud." But I would say that one of my top reasons for sticking with 7 is the familiar GUI. There's just something I find off-putting about the weird kind of origami interface of newer OSes that rubs me the wrong way.

8. NST_Adventure

NST_Adventure MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2019
    So what's is difference between google and microsoft? :v :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. markokk888

markokk888 MDL Senior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    #29 markokk888, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    wow really, no one cares about telemetry and moving to alternative os. interesting. so as long every other category is okay the telemetry is fine with everyone, very interesting results indeed.

10. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
    What are you talking about? My Win 7 has NO telemetry.
    I will use it til EOL of 7 embedded, Oct 2023,and beyond. Provided I live that long.
    If you roll Windows ME, Vista, Windows 8, all together, you get Windows 10.
    Windows 7 forever.

11. Muggaen

Muggaen MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2011
    I have a lap with Harddrive and 2 GB ram and its onboard and cant be upgraded so I use win 7 Home but still slow, with win LTSB 2015 it works a little better, thinking put xp on it :)

12. nisutuk

nisutuk MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2013
    there are mainly two:
    1. force update and restart.
    -i only S3 standby (with UPS) my windows 7. never restart for several months

2. No way to change window background color universally like windows 7 (classic windows)
    -eg. background color of words/excel is gray

Windows 7 lacks of DX12 support, but i can live with it.

13. Mo223

Mo223 MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2019
    Let's see
    - Settings menu is very laggy and a poor replacement for the control panel
    - Feature updates cause things to break
    - The start menu is very buggy when you try to drag more than 2-5 programs on it
    - Bloat and spyware

The good thing here is that at least you can fix 2 of the 4 things I mention with LTSC but that settings menu is such a horrible replacement for PCs along with the start Menu that I just wish Windows 7 was still supported.
    I've had other things too like Blue Screens from the feature updates but in my experience people tend to exaggerate how horrible something really is. However that is a problem that will come when you do roll out updates twice a year that literally change a part of the OS's code to such a degree. So I'd recommend LTSC but really, unless the source code for Windows 10 got leaked and someone made a definitive Windows 10 or hopefully in a few years Linux gaming will be damn near 1:1 with Windows gaming I would just want to stick to 7. My only 2 reasons for using 10 right now consist of the fact that it is supported and that I bought Forza Horizon 4 before it came to steam and really love that game. However I do still use 7 on my other PC and will miss it when it truly becomes outdated.

14. samuraikid

samuraikid MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2018
    #34 samuraikid, Apr 23, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    The DX12 support on win7 comes from the game devs and not an installer, like wow (world of warcraft) let you use DX12 on 7

15. gundja

gundja MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Because it is light on resources .

16. Herman Munster

Herman Munster MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2011
    ya I agree windows 10 sucks . Been saying that since windows 8 glorified tablet OS. Herman

17. vidyarathne

vidyarathne MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2013
    because it's an amazing os.windows 10 sucks.but now windows 7 support is not available for newer hw.

18. gundja

gundja MDL Junior Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Light on resources and for labbing.

19. Sugadevan

Sugadevan MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I loved all those funny replies.. OMG :D

20. TURTLESHROOM

TURTLESHROOM MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2021
    "Windows VII"
    Ironically, my college professor told me that "Windows X" actually uses the "Windows Vista" Kernel and Shell. At its core, "Windows X" IS "Windows Vista".