Why are you still using Windows 7? - Poll from ZDNet

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by erpsterm35, Oct 10, 2020.

1. TURTLESHROOM

TURTLESHROOM MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2021
    I have many reasons.
    • "Windows VII" does not have millions of tracking features that you have to disable one by one. It took me days to figure out how to remove the key loggers and all of that.
    • "Windows VII" does not compel updates.
    • "Windows VII" has the Windows Classic Theme. While I prefer that, I believe that the fancy graphical version is also beautiful.
    • "Windows VII" is a stable, fast, and well-written operating system. It almost never crashes due to anything arising from the OS itself.
    • "Windows VII" supports the classic "Windows Help" (HLP) files.
    • "Windows VII" is easy to use and reminds me of great operating systems like "Windows XP" (by far the best NT system of all) and "Windows Ninety-Eight".
    • "Windows VII" doesn't make it impossible to play tens of thousands of games that predate 2012 AD, when SECDRV was bowed out. This OS also did not force me to abandon it with not means of opting in.
    • "Windows VII" runs almost every game that "Windows X" can run and then some.
    • "Windows VII" does not divide its Control Panel into two.
    • "Windows VII" is comfy and easy to wea- ahem, easy to use.
    I need not say more. Any computer I have will continue to use "Windows VII" for long as it is feasibly possible.

By the time "Windows X" loses full support in 2025 AD, I might be willing to upgrade to that to avoid the eye-gouging, rounded corner atrocity that is "Windows XI".

2. -___-

-___- MDL Member

Jul 7, 2021
    Windows 7 is a compromise to the simpler and usefuller XP - and a great OFFLINE system (after some hardening tweaks) - even when i'm online. :cool:

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The only shortcoming of XP (and why it makes no sense to use it anymore) is that it runs on the older NT 5.1 (or NT 5.2 for 64bit) kernel. Windows 7 still runs the same kernel version (6.x) like the later OS (10.x is only a rebrand for 6.4).

4. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Install a 32 bit server 2003 turn it to a client using ntswitch or alike ,and you'll get XP 5.2 (xp64 is already on 5.2 kernel)

5. marcosMDL

marcosMDL MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2021
    I use Win10 Pro and I'm glad with it. If you use WPD (Windows Privacy Dashboard) and shut down Win10's spy-features, it has no problem. Fast and safe as much as possible.

Win7 has security issues, Win7 is not receiving any single update for a long time, many programmers stopped releasing versions for Win7, etc...

So why Win7? It is just for a video capture device which does not work stable under Win10.

I have an old (2009 model) Avermedia USB capture device (Actually it is a DVB-S digital TV card with composite video/audio input) and its driver causes issues under Win10. They never released a driver for Win10 or Win8... Even if you install the driver in "Win7 compatibility mode" on Win10, it does not work very well. I cannot capture video at maximum quality. Recordings have blank screens (no video) at some points. Sound is OK but video is lost sometimes.

I'm using that capture device for years. It worked really great at Win7 Home Premium (with its official Win7 driver), but I sold my old Win7-Intel 1th Gen PC, then bought a Win10-Kaby Lake PC.

The famous emulator called VirtualBox did not solve my problem. VirtualBox's special graphics driver gives no video from that Avermedia USB device (no sound also).

So I needed Win7 just for that issue. I'm trying to install Win7 on a Kaby Lake PC, just for an old Avermedia capture device. You can find it weird. :)

I know there are newer USB devices like "AVerMedia EZMaker 7", "StarTech USB Video Capture" and "UCEC USB Video Capture". They all work stable on Win10, but they are expensive to buy... Cheap USB capture devices like "Ezcap" and "Easycap" are completely rubbish with terrible video&audio quality.

Actually I'm not sure about "returning to the old good days" of that USB device. Even if I manage to install Win7 on my Kaby Lake PC, final results could be exactly the same as Win10, because I'm installing it on the same CPU&GPU&sound card. Only the OS will change.

I'll try and see what will happen...