Why does Microsoft enforce TPM for Windows 11?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by JBenal, May 26, 2022.

1. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    You're tripping.
    TPM 1.2 offers all the security benefits for Enterprise.
    But Microsoft went for 2.0 requirement, and that's because they want to license the extra keys storage besides the platform ones used by microsoft themselves, to 3rd party DRM. And they did. Ask Riot Games how much.
    Issues with AMD fTPM are just the result of Intel + Microsoft = Love. Corporate sabotage. If it's not Intel, it's NVIDIA, or both, screwing AMD. Big numbers. In the end, they are all screwing the customers.
    And may I remind you Bitlocker can work without TPM. Requirements were always a farce.
    Back to Enterprise, TPM is used to restrict and control usage of corporate PCs by the employees, and that's fine, ethical, whatever.
    On your home owned PCs?
    Could prevent trivial logins by other people (don't know about you, but I don't live with strangers in my house) - that's assuming you've set it right = as annoying as possible.
    During actual usage of your PC? An ocean of CVE stands witness of TPM's inutility.
    /Thread

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I've run into 2 Windows 11 laptops with borked installs due to Bitlocker. I have no idea what happened to one of them but the other was traced to a BIOS update that had no provision to either block BIOS updates or backup the Bitlocker key. I got lucky on the 2nd one because their key was stored in their MS account, was able to retrieve it from a different system but man was the a PITA to fix.

The odds of Bitlocker saving you over screwing you is terrible for the average Joe/Jane.

3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Related to this, what year do you all predict that MS will force gamers to update to Windows 11 via artificial graphics API incompatibility? By artificial I mean trivial to bypass just like installing Windows 11 on "...unsupported..." hardware.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    I bought TPM from China for $6, other Windows 11 requirements are more encouraging, but I am glad, because fTPM issues will never be fixed, Agesa 1.9.0.7 is just a temporary fix like all those before.
    Indeed, I have lost count of people, who lost their files because of mandatory Bitlocker, most of them did even not know, what it is and that it was enabled, the rest relied on the unreliable MSA to backup the key.
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BitLocker" /v "PreventDeviceEncryption" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    fsutil behavior set disableencryption 1
    cipher /d /s:C:\
    sc config BDESVC start= disabled
    sc config EFS start= disabled

5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Both of the people I helped had no idea that it was on. The second one luckily was on a laptop with an online account and I was able to get their key from a 2nd system.

6. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    That way is a good idea to have a MS account and not a good idea to encrypt your HD on stad alone mode.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #27 TairikuOkami, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    Some people mentioned, that Windows 11 Home does it automatically and because people have aversion to MSA, they either break sync with debloater apps or switch to a local account and the damage is done.

8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Enjoy your MS account after it's suddenly banned and the only support you get is a vague automated message. Can you afford taking Microsoft to court for abusive EULA where violation of terms can mean anything? No.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Leif Targo

Leif Targo MDL Junior Member

Oct 26, 2009
  10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    The average Joe/Jane wants to turn their computer on and use it. They don't want to understand anything technical.

11. spedia

spedia MDL Senior Member

Jul 13, 2009
    This is true for a typical "Home" user or "Pro" user.

12. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I always use my mom as the benchmark. Every new technology breaks down into 2 categories:

1. My mom does not even know or understand how her user experience was enhanced. <- should be part of the home user experience
    2. It confuses her or goes wrong and I get calls to fix/disable something. <- should be optional and opt in for experienced/power users

13. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    I have never once had a call were TPM would have helped. I have had 2 calls were bitlocker had screwed the user.

People need to step back from their experience level. You are literally talking about Linux later in your post, the automatic sign that you are not talking about the average Joe/Jane.

Just because we understand and use certain technology does not mean that it should be the standard.

When I see new technology I see it as one of two things:

"Thank god, less stupid calls to fix trivial issues."
    "Crap, no one is going to understand this and I'll end up fixing these "...features...".

14. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    I try to look at it all from a user point of view . Not all users can aford a new computer and / or a new hard drive ........... and the ones that they have now work = the ONLY reason for microsoft and the entire computer industry to decide and do things like this is to revitalise a dieing market . To sell computers and parts .

It has no benefits for me or anyone else that i can see ....... besides microsoft and the computer industry .

I use an SSD for my operating system .......... and HDDs to store things on . From what i've read the HDDs can be over written thousands of times more than an SSD ?

15. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Early SSDs were terrible, I had a bunch fail. Modern SSDs will outlive your system by a wide margin. Like a lot of technology, early reputations live on for a long time. Early reputations of SSDs were accurate but that was a long time ago.