why does ms keep pushing users to logon with an account?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by RanCorX2, Jul 22, 2021.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
  2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If a person sees everywhere and all the time that everyone is watching and chasing him, then it is a psychiatric problem.
    Logging in to a Microsoft account only means that your data as a real person has already been verified by Microsoft and you no longer need to verify it, you don't even need an internet connection, of course, if you don't sync anything over the internet.
    Besides, there are more than 7,777,525, 500 people in the world at the moment - interestingly, how are they all being monitored and spying on all the time?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    We have computers, you know. Like the married couple, who was denied entry to the USA, because of suspecting terrorism, merely because they have mentioned on their social account, that the party will be a bomb.
    NSA admitted in documentaries that they were doing it since 80s, once something triggers a key word, a real person can be assigned to it or the automated process will take care of it.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Hey, good boy, it's so good you said it to me. Now I know.
    But I didn't really know anything before. Life is too short to know everything.

6. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i think some of you didn't understand my post. it's not about being paranoid.

why does windows setup always try and get you to login with a ms account instead of a local account? i know signing into windows with a ms account means you won't have to sign-in to the store etc and is kinda secure as someone else won't be login to your account but could still get your data outside of windows by other means.

why do they keep trying to make everyone use a ms account instead of a local account? the main reason i never bother with it because;

1. i don't use the microsoft store in windows
    2. i don't use office (anymore) switched to thunderbird for email ages ago
    3. not being able to sign-in to windows if my internet is out is dumb

i don't see any advantages to making the switch when installing windows.

7. d5aqoëp

d5aqoëp MDL Addicted

Jan 19, 2017
    Just yank out ethernet cable during initial setup. Been doing this since Windows 8 and so far zero issues about MS bothering me. I will continue to do so even for Windows 11

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #8 acer-5100, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021

Or maybe, not seeing the obvious, could mean that one has big cognitive impairs.

Assuming you are right, why that should be a good thing?

The user is supposed to be called user and not used, for a reason.

Not sure where you live, but In my country all conversations/sms/email are kept for at least 5 years, and that's a supposedly democratic/western country.

Obviously a large part of those 8 billions of people aren't so lucky and their governments are totalitarian/corrupt.

You are constantly monitored no matter who you are and where you live, (by big techs governments, and cooperation of the the two), and being cooperative to that scenario is just masochistic. Sort of Stockholm syndrome.

9. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Sshhh you'll be called conspiranoid.
    The supranational powers are right you wrong.

10. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    for synchronization, like in Apple or Android devices, or Browsers, so it will preserve all your settings.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    So that's a valid reason for MS to KEEP PUSHING aka enforcing it?

12. MarvelX7

MarvelX7 MDL Member

Jun 1, 2021
    collect information and sell to enterprise.

13. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    it's only enforced if you are connected to Internet during the installation.

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    LoL that's my point. They're enforcing it anyway. I mean, connected or not, one should not be pushed to. Even connected both alternatives should be available, straightforward, to your eye. No tricks no hidden no hard to find Local Account option.

15. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    I agree with that, just I mean that is a normal thing in modern software with cloud features.

16. crossup

crossup MDL Member

Jun 20, 2015
    M$ will still track you even if you don't use an account. In an old install of W10, I had downloaded Windows Terminal from store. Later, I had done a clean install of the OS. When I went to the store, it showed that I own that app. So, I am guessing they are tracking store usage with HWID.

Regardless, the primary reason M$ is trying to push windows users into accounts is because they want you to be a part of their walled garden/ecosystem. They can track you even you do not use an account. But, they want you to buy apps, M$365 subscription, W365 subscription, use onedrive, share files via onedrive, use M$ Teams, buy into azure cloud service, sharepoint etc. In order for any of these to happen, the first step is having an M$ account.

17. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The reason they are constantly trying to push you into using an MS account? Besides many reasons already noted here, it's because you should get used to the era of Cloud PC. Cloud PC (Windows subscription) requires an online account, and they find if everyone is already using one the change into a pure subscription model will be easier (for them) plus more profitable.

Luckily, not everyone buys it. I don't use any cloud.

18. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    I remember the widespread rage and the privacy concerns when MS introduced the online activation in 2000/2001 with XP.

Just 7 years later the iPhone activation procedure asked first for your credit card number and no one blinked.

Now you can't even format a native silicon apple M1 machine offline (you need to be connected even when you are inside its "BIOS"). And there is a new category of users called "owners" which are (permanently) registered on apple's servers, which are required to boot a secondary OS on such machines.

Kids get used easily with new fascist rules, then kids becomes adult, and everything becomes "normal" no matter how disgusting it is.

19. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Oh yeah I missed that:
    Indoctrination...

A euphemistic way to say it

20. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Like I said, I don't buy into their reasoning. That's why I'm using Windows and not ChromeOS. Everything that's executed on my PC is coming from my hard disk, not from anyone else's.