Why I won’t upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rEApEAt, Jul 18, 2015.

1. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    That would be great!

Hackers know what they're doing... But I'm not a hacker (not a computer hacker anyway) and I don't know if I can trust the Pos2009 registry hack or not. I run regularly a XP VM to make 32-bit portable software, but I don't bother to use the Pos2009 reg. hack in that machine.

So, when I dare to give my two cents to people I don't even know, I prefer to stay at the safest side.

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #22 abbodi1406, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

the policy require update KB3065987

3. Jimmy_Smith

Jimmy_Smith MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2015
    I don't trust MIcrosoft, i think there's probably some NSA type spying already in all versions of Windows but Windows 10 probably takes it to next level

4. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    Sure. This time with biometry and everything!

At the same time, I think it's hard to deny that the best form of totalitarian regime is the modern democracy. We can even criticize it and don't get killed!

5. systema

systema MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2015
    I have been using the RTM version of windows 10 for a couple of days now and IMO microsoft made a very smart move with this windows version but I will never use it, here's why:

Windows 7 delivers you a basic operating system, it does try to shove some things down your throat (like IE, .net, etc) but with some effort you left free to avoid them and ignore them

Windows 10 was quite clearly made to SHOVE microsoft services down your throat: "come check out the ms store for great software" "make a ms account because it's great" "here's cortana with bing right in your taskbar" "your file manager now has native onedrive integration, great uh?"
    there are Microsoft music apps, news apps and all kind of ms apps all over windows 10

Windows 10 is quite clearly microsoft's biggest effort to turn itself into a 'web services' company like google... the paradigm is dead, microsoft has embraced the death of the desktop computer and is now positioning windows to compete with android and ios.

And your freedom is greatly eroded has you can't uninstall stuff like the store or cortana, etc... hell you can't even choose updates (you can't even turn them off with the home version)

So yes, windows 10 is a way for microsoft to pimp their services to you.

Do you like ms services? upgrade to 10

Do you like to tinker, tweak the OS? stick with 7

by the by, the core system itself is pretty much 8.1 ... essential stuff like the firewall or filesystems are pretty much the same they have ever been.

would love to see some windows 7 vs windows 10 benchmarks tho, my suspicions: pretty much identical

6. Durga

Durga MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2015
    #26 Durga, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. venioni

venioni MDL Senior Member

Mar 28, 2014
    I think a lot of people with windows 7 upgrade to 10 and in few day go back to w7 and stay there until pc dead...:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. xXBlackWidowXx

xXBlackWidowXx MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2015
    Pretty much what happened with Windows 8.........

9. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    I will use Windows 7 at least until 2020, and then Windows 8.1 :death: with Classic Shell at least until 2023.

However, there's no reason to refuse this Microsoft/Daz offer. That would be so impolite! :biggrin:

So I will upgrade my main machine to 10 and then erase everything and install a beautiful fresh copy of Windows 7 (UEFI) with my legit serial.

I'm also upgrading (right now) a Windows 7 VM, 'cause I need to test my portables and see if they work in Windows 10.

But that's all.

10. xXBlackWidowXx

xXBlackWidowXx MDL Junior Member

May 21, 2015
    I was/am an insider, but just yesterday I cancelled my "free offer" and completely removed a Windows 10 install that I had on a second partition. I would have liked to see them come out with something like a desktop OS, but that has been shot-down, and Windows 10 resembles nothing more than a smartphone. And considering how smartphones are being hacked and the data is being bulk collected these days, well I will have to respectfully decline to be a part of that.

Only thing left to do is cancel my "insider acct", and delete my hotmail that I created specifically for "testing" Windows 10.