Why ? is there no standalone Outlook 2013 version anymore?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by allowingtoo, Sep 25, 2017.

1. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    I get that Office, Outlook and all that fancy stuff are all wrapped up together with OneNote, Contact Manager and things like that. But truly, I just want the plain vanilla version. Is that possible? I see they sell it but it is $$$$ and I have no idea what it includes.

Does it try to download Skype for Business, Publisher, and all those other unwanted updates even though you clicked "not installed" when you installed Office?

ELI5 -> WHY? is there no MS fixit for Office? The only option is to repair via Control Panel and somehow my installation is corrupted so it just opens and closes and repair doesn't run. The MS web page itself says use Control Panel or reinstall. That's it. Either / Or

Their product is so complex, convoluted that they can't even figure out a repair option for it?

So yes, I'd like a separate version of Outlook with a side order of Excel thrown in please.

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    I can't tell you HOW many times I've tried to install JUST OUTLOOK & EXCEL from the MS Office Professional version this way. I've even tried to follow through the steps to do a custom install and make my own version and I thought I had it figured out but it still wanted to download the updates of Skype for Business and OneNote. So something was obviously still in the installation. Or MS just doesn't like me. I guess I should just go ahead and install MS Professional and let the updates run and then remove them. Maybe that would stop the nag screens like Silverlight. I thought about that one too. Just let it install and then remove it.

But thank you for your link. At least there's that Fixit. I use Revo though.

4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Installing individual programs of ProPlus suit != installing individual Office programs separately

5. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Big text makes everything better

6. allowingtoo

allowingtoo MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2010
    OK, I installed the REGULAR version of MS OFFICE Professional and chose WHEN INSTALLING to NOT INSTALL Lync, One Note, Publisher, Project, Visio

I basically was just trying to keep Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point.

It's been horrendous. Even AFTER I installed, it kept trying to update and install everything I DIDN'T WANT as USUAL. I went back into the Control Panel and checked again and looked and yes, there had been downloads of Lync, One Note, Publisher, Project and Visio. I guess through the Monthly Rollup. I removed those, some you had to remove one at a time and reboot and check again because they would come back.

So the Control Panel was clear and as far as I could tell, my add and remove MS Office was showing that I did not want that program installed.

And STILL MS UPDATE persisted. Since I had gotten wiser at this point and chose to show me the updates but let me choose whether or not to install them at least I had a choice.

It was like the Silverlight Update. No matter that I ran the .bat file, the update kept showing up. I read that there were umpteem updates so I just kept clicking to HIDE the update and YES eventually it went away.

That gave me hope for the rest of the updates but OMG it took a week of DAILY clicking HIDE I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES a day. One right after the other. At first you can't see any difference and you THINK you are just doing it with no effect and nothing is happening. And then....one less update shows up. FINALLY.

So it went from MS trying to install 5 unwanted updates to 4 and it just stuck there. Over and over for days. You just have to stick with it and keep HIDING THOSE UPDATES. And then it goes down to THREE. And then ONE. And then all of the sudden MS PROJECT pops up out of nowhere wanting to be updated. Really? That was not even an option but I guess MS got frustrated with me. I guess that was their version of "Are you sure?"

All I wanted was a Lite version of Office. I tried the Home version and it still had those updates built in so it wasn't any better and it kept crashing for some reason. I really would have been happy with just MS Word 2013 in itself if that had been possible.

It's been an experience. Sorry about the BIG TEXT MR MAGIC My old eyes don't see so good anymore and I was on my iPad.

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I don't think Silverlight even comes with Office. It's a recommended update/plugin you get through windows update.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...