Why mess with Bios?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Eddo51, Mar 6, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Eddo51

Eddo51 MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2019
    I'm sorry if this seems to be a dumb question, but I'm not familiar with this topic and I'd like to learn a bit. Several years ago I upgraded my Asus K53e computer with a new Bios from Asus. I haven't touched bios since. I am very interested in faster performance and if there is something I should do with bios, that would be great. I already cleaned the machine with Hitman Pro and erased all temp files. That helped a lot. My wife uses the computer. I have an i7. She has the i5. World of difference.

The i5 details are
    Model: K53E BBR17
    Processor: Intel Core i5-2450M Socket G2 2.5GHz
    BIOS: K53.217 10/25/2011
    Came with: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit but I upgraded to Windows 10. That seemed to slow it down.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    replace hdd with SSD

3. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    BIOS updates should not bring any performance improvement. There are mostly stability or security fixes.
    On this sub-forum, we like to mod BIOS to unlock some hidden features. By default, the laptop's BIOS only have minimal settings. For example, your ASUS K53 only has a boot menu, a bios update option, a toggle for wake-up when you open the lid (or not), and sata mode (ahci by default, or ide).
    Some mods might allow you to upgrade your cpu to an unsupported cpu, install any wireless adapter, change the fan speed, apply security updates to the cpu microcode, add support for macOS operating system, etc. 99% of the users don't need these mods.
    Just like @LatinMcG said, if you want serious performance, replace your hard disk with an SSD and get ready to be amazed. No need to mess with the BIOS for any of that ;)

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Typically, laptops come with 5400 RPM hard drives. That can impact performance a lot.
    Like @LatinMcG and @TigTex both said. Replace the hard drive with a SSD.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...