Why moving to Linux saved my sanity

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Dngrsone, Jun 7, 2016.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Well why make the thing complicates. Customizing grum manually is something to do if you install a kernel manually.

If you install a kernel with apt-get no further action is needed. It does all the actions needed by itself.

One command.

2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    'Cos some of us like to be in control of what we are doing - unlike windows where stuff happens in the background.. and end up with WTF just happened?

Having said that Mint's update manager automates it.... so where's the complication? I'm referring too those that may want to use custom kernels.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dngrsone

Dngrsone MDL Novice

May 25, 2016
    Compiling your own kernel? Who in their right mind... oh wait, I've done that.

... never mind. :rolleyes:

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Most people want's that. (me included)

But usually those people don't mind to use Mint or any other distro meant to be friendly with people used to windows.

And a person who compile a kernel himself surely already knows how grub works.

My suggestion was aimed to newbies, (especially the one I replied to) who keep telling that Linux is complicate just because they have missed a single menu item or because a missing detail (like the difference between upgrade/install).

5. louthman

louthman MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2011
    Nice to know im not alone here

Im just another retired gerryatrick!! but delighted to see there are others who value the freedom of LINUX and life after paid employment. Good wishes to all you Guys and Gals

6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Linux users will never walk alone.

Those that have followed my posts may know that I'm big on promoting Linux, particularly converting Windows users (see my customization thread) - the problem is the beauty of Linux is not easily visible to new-comers and as much as I appreciate the concentration on slick and safe, there is a lot more work required in GUI and apps, both DE as well as "Store" stuff readily available on Windows (without relying on Wine) or Apple...
    Backup solutions ( eg. differential rather than cloning) and slightly more specific stuff like UDF image support are just a couple of things that come to mind.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jaykstah

jaykstah MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2016
    Well put, and it's awesome to see your story.

I've always been primarily a windows user and had tried out different Linux distros throughout the years just for fun.

I'll still use Windows on my primary machine just because I'm so accustomed to it and do a lot of gaming/use a lot of windows programs; I'm too far in to do a cold turkey switch to full-time Linux. I do run a home server for file storage, media, etc. and dualboot Cinnamon on my laptop that I take around.

Windows has definitely fallen from grace as Microsoft's goals have changed throughout the years, and Linux has been a great experience all around every time I've used it and I'm glad the integrity of Linux is unbreaking.

While windows lets me do day to day things as well as gaming on a solid and friendly platform, Linux is always up and running on my servers for when I need to do more heavy lifting.