Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. jasjeet

jasjeet MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2012
  2. johny88

johny88 MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2015
    lel a couple extra steps is not the problem man, the problem is the lack of software and drivers support, also there is no official vanilla linux, there are too many distros everyone doing whatever they want, you cant get proper drivers and support like that since everyone uses whatever distro they please how will developers push stable drivers/games/software for all? they cant.
    Then i use headphones and there is no control panel/equalizer for Realtek Audio or Asus Xonar audio cards, yes they work with default generic driver, but my headphones need special settings to sound good,linux is cancer for audio people like me.
    Then i use PotPlayer with madVR theres no such thing on Linux only basic VLC no ty.
    I play mostly online games BF3/4 mmorpgs are they avaible on linux? no and never will be.If you are singleplayer you might find plenty steam games but im not that guy > linux is useless.
    Then there are no .executable files, i search for programs drivers etc and i find archives and .deb files that are not installable and f**k knows how to install them, and most of the time they wont even work even if i find guide.

There is no future for Linux for desktop, linux will remain the best for servers since its free and serv admins use mostly console/terminal commands in order to run core server setups, they dont need games/entertainment audio stuff.
    Thats what people do not understand.

There are no viruses on linux? ofc there are not the linux desktop share is almost inexistent just a few fellows here and there, that have more time to deal with linux crap. Why would anyone make viruses for a free OS where people dont even use their credit cards or hold important data, because everything is mostly FREE!!? Sure windows has more random malicious stuff since its easier to break windows than linux.

3. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Countless decades ago when I was in high school, I failed first year Spanish, twice. I knew English and had no desire or reason to bother with anything else. But I've always had this theory - if I found myself in a 100% non-English environment, as soon as I got hungry or needed to use the restroom, I'd be one fast learner.

Had no problem with Ubuntu - but that was because I wanted to learn it. You won't learn anything new without incentive or desire.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Leslie: No truer words have been said... :thumbsup:

I have a saying that I use when people say to Me, "That's amazing! How did You do that?".

I say "It's amazing what you can do when You have no choice". :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Sirte

Sirte MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2014
    #46 Sirte, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    I went for a dualboot windows 10 + Debian Testing minimal NetInstall.
    It is exactly like every other encounter with linux (Raspberry Pi, OpenWRT, etc.) i had: Linux does not want to be userfriendly and is not meant to be used as a productive environment (except for coding), which is fine for server related usage but not for desktops.

Most things take at least 5 extra steps compared to windows, some things are either impossible or require hours of reading, fiddling around and compiling stuff yourself.
    For example installing the NVIDIA driver requires you to:
    1. make the installer executable
    2. blacklist the nouveau driver
    3. install build-essentials, your linux-header source and other libaries
    4. reboot
    5. login as root via commandline
    6. stop X-server
    7. execute the driver-installer with an additional parameter (otherwise it wont install properly work)
    8. add the new driver to X11-config
    9. reboot

Also there are things which you would never have to deal with on windows like manually setting up your network-card because the automatic configuration is failing hard or installing a custom font-rendering engine becuase for some reason the font-rendering on Debina & Arch looks like sh*t so you have to install a new engine like Infinality. This requires about 50 steps and you have to compile a lot of things from different sources yourself (ofc there is no up-to-date tutorial so it's pretty much trial/error). Under windows this is not even neccessary.

Best example is the installation itself: I couldn't use the life-cd because it wont work on UEFI so i had to use the NetInstall-CD which also didn't work because apparently my network-card requires a non-free driver which was not included. I jerked around serveral hours to get the driver to load from an usb-stick but no luck. I ended up using the unofficial netiso bundled with non-free-driver packages which again couldn't finish the installation because the grub-install failed so i had to manually reinstall grub from an Ubuntu-life-usb.

The worst thing is the lack of productive tools/GUIs. Almost everything is commandline-only which sucks. Prime example: mpv. Probably the most advanced videoplayer out there (or so they say) ..... with no menu.
    Yea thats right, it doesn't have a menu. You have to manually edit a config-file to change the most basic things. I asked them why they would strip out the menu and the answer was: "you don't need a menu, just use CLI". The whole manual is commandline-arguments only. 2015, a video player, command line arguments, no menu. Just let that sink in to get a little insight into the mind of linux coders.

Video/Audio editing, gaming or rendering is pretty much non-existing. Same goes for other productive suites/tools which already tells you a lot about the OS if there is a complete lack of these.

Don't get me wrong, distros may want to be userfriendly and implement a lot of imrovements to speed things up but the underlying system is not beginner-friendly nor anywhere near to be as fast to work with as windows. Again this implies desktop-use.

6. Mansome

Mansome MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2015
    Anyone tried Zorin OS? its as close to Windows on Linux as you can get.

7. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
  8. Vico

Vico MDL Junior Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Don't use Ubuntu, it sends your "start" menu search terms to amazon.com

9. deanovCustoms

deanovCustoms MDL Novice

May 13, 2011
    Had constant wifi dropping issues with Linux Mint & Antergos linux (Arch based), Unfortunately back on W10 at the moment :rolleyes:

Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
    Bit of searching shows there's a lot of problems with these drivers, couldn't find a fix :beee:

10. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    No such problem with version 15.04 and higher.
    Even with Ubuntu 14.04, you can completely disable that behavior. Try fixubuntu.com. Easy fix.

11. Sirte

Sirte MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2014
    What are you talking about? I am not using a bloated linux distro like Ubuntu. I stated exactly what distro i am using. Also: only because something is preinstalled doesn't make a manual setup any shorter.
    + Automatic install is something i want to block. I do everything by my own hands manually. The problem here is, that it's A LOT of additional work to do something manually on linux compared to windows.

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

I think you have a good windows knowledge but you are definitely a Linux illiterate.

13. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @HORIZONTAL_THINKER: I think (or I hope) that what GOD666 is trying to say is

"Try before you give up and criticize."

I am starting the journey to Linux at this very moment. I am studying and learning, as well as asking questions.
    And I've been treated with kindness and respect, simply because I'm willing to learn, but I'm also willing to take the initiative.

The OP needs to do the same thing. Step up, grab the bull by the horns, and dig in.

No Whining!

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Trying to find a good "linux for idiots" distro is just stupid.

If you want to eat a good spaghetti dish, but you put some ketchup on top of them, is better to go to macdonalds and have some foods there.

The same is here: get arch linux, a slack o or any other distro that forces you to learn something or stay on windows.

15. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Which one to try - the LITE version (free) or the ULTIMATE (paid)?

16. bromanbro

bromanbro MDL Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Free. Paid is mostly to donate to the project, but includes a few extra "themes" like Mac OSX.

17. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Could you please start a thread or blog about your experiences? I'm an above-average Windows user but totally clueless about Linux, and would love to tag along.

18. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    People tell me I should be kind to those who want to try new things. You guys say you should slowly try new things. I disagree throw the bastard into the deep end give him an OS without a GUI and get the guy to install the gui. There will be complaints like well I don't know what to do. People like me will say well you have the greatest single resource ever created in the history of mankind called the internet.

This is how life works you want to try something you have to be persistent and willing to learn.