Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. ProudPirate

ProudPirate MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2016
    The modem itself doesn't depend on OS. But my ISP installs custom firmware on the modem (so that we can't use the modem with another ISP after switching) which starts acting really weird with linux. Ethernet speeds get throttled after 3-4 hours, WiFi connection repeatedly drops and glitches like that. It is easy to get around that by just buying one modem from the market though. But the cheap Chinese modems flooding our market are crap. The ISP supplied modem is a reliable one.

UPDATE: I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2 64 bit after buying a modem. The installation went flawlessly and everything was working out of the box. The installation was actually quicker and smoother than Windows. Unfortunately, I had to go go back to Windows 10. Dear lord almost no software is available with linux. Camtasia doesn't work, Vegas Pro doesn't work, Adobe softwares doesn't work, MS Office doesn't work, media management softwares like MusicBee, Foobar2K, JRiver Media Center doesn't work. Hello? I need to actually work (or relax) on the computer, what good is an OS without top notch softwares? Now before you guys say anything, yes I knew most MS Softwares won't work and I was looking forward to linux open source alternatives. But to be honest, most open source alternatives simply can't compete with their MS paid equivalents. They lack features, polish, finesse and reliability. It simply not the same. The difference is so huge that it's not even funny.

And yeah, troubleshooting with Terminal is a pain in the a**. Linux is horrible for non-techie Windows power users. People like us who tweak windows by digging dip but don't know programming feel too constrained with linux. (It is great for dumb Windows users though, the ones who click every download link and install 10+ toolbars in their browsers).

I wish Linux Mint and Ubuntu all the best. But it is simply not for me. I am destined to be a slave of Micro$oft Corporation.

2. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Linux is not a substitute for Windows ... it's a substitute OS.. it requires a different mind-set

One of the biggest gripes was that people couldn't use intense apps like AutoCAD.. yet they can make do with alternatives if they put their minds to it and forget the "way I'm used to" ...and learn an alternate way to do things...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I keep hearing that, but the way I do things in Windows is the same way I do things in Linux. So I do not know exactly what you're doing differently.

4. neo-alchemist

neo-alchemist MDL Novice

May 23, 2017
    #905 neo-alchemist, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    GNOME Software is really advanced compared to others. I use Fedora 26 Workstation. Comes with added categories, such as Fonts, Localization, Codecs, GNOME Extensions, etc. It also notifies when updates are available, and it asks you to reboot the computer to install some "low-level" update (with a graphical interface showing progress, just like when you turn on Windows after applying updates).

Also, it allows organizing apps in folders, as you can see in the image.
    QRArac4.jpg

Solus brought a very different and nice Software Center with a tab for installing commonly used proprietary software.

elementary OS made a new concept for its new (open source only) App Store. It's the pay-what-you-want concept. You find a program, and by default it has a $1 tag on it, but you can change it to $5 or $10 or even $0 if you don't want to pay for it. It's a good way to encourage donation without forcing you to pay, but some people find it annoying. I don't know.

Linux Mint has a very traditional, stable and complete Software Center, including proprietary software.

Ubuntu MATE brings Software Boutique, a place where you find curated application (free and non-free) with fancy graphics and information. Doesn't show all applications, just like recommended applications for each function you could perform.

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep MJ always correct :D really I agree and still good find about Autodesk Forums :)

7. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  8. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Superfly: And those of us who write code should offer to help to the app developers.

Symbiosis at its' best. :)

10. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  11. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010

LOL... yup that's the spirit ;)

12. neo-alchemist

neo-alchemist MDL Novice

May 23, 2017
    #913 neo-alchemist, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    I use Inkscape to create logos, visit cards, banners and fliers for companies. Gimp allows me to remove the background of .jpg images and do photo enhancements. Darktable/RawTherapee along with Siril allow me to process astrophotography (Stellarium helps me guide in the sky). MyPaint allows me to draw with my wacom tablet. I don't use LibreOffice often, but it's all I ever needed. I also run a TOR relay at home.

I have embraced open source software entirely. I just couldn't donate to FSF. My stupid bank blocks it.

EDIT: Also using Firefox. If it wasn't for Firefox, I would be suffering from the bugs of browsers like Epiphany and QupZilla. Chrome never.
    EDIT2: GNOME 3.24 comes with Night Light. Good for the eyes at night. When you wake up 3AM and try to look at your computer of phone screen, it won't hurt like a blast from a mega photon gun, it will rather be a lot easier to look, adapting quickly.

13. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    That is simply NOT true. Why would I use Linux when I have Windows? I LOVE Windows. I can do a whole lot in Windows. Yes, I have tried Linux before, and I do not like it. I don't like it in ANY of its permutations. No OS on God's Green Earth works as well as Windows, and that is a fact.

14. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    #915 Michaela Joy, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  15. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If by Windows OS you mean "operating service" then, yes, you're probably right. Enjoy it! I use an operating system... Yes. Linux! :linuxlove:

16. I would move to linux in a heartbeat but I need a solution for Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visual Studio, Adobe Suite and Autodesk.
    Nothing can replace the big software that big companies like above produce, and I use most of them on a regular basis. Waiting for QubesOS to mature enough to use it and make the jump.

17. anarchemist

anarchemist MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2017
    #918 anarchemist, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    There's something else about GNU/Linux. The thing is, there's a philosophical/political thing behind it. The open source movement is a political thing. It aims to decentralize software development and give the user control over it. It's like anarchy in computing. These big companies are learning so much about us, that it will make impossible to escape if something bad happens to the current order (as if it isn't bad enough). If more powerful people like D. Trump and Putin and people like Ajit Pai decided to silence those who won't agree with it, that's it.

The people who see this coming, they use open source software because it's the only thing that's not connected to that (potentially) evil system. They're thinking ahead of time, because it's clearly becoming a threat.

Also, you're giving control of A.I. to a single organization. How can we possibly expect anything good out of this?

EDIT: removed first line. not very good.

18. apad fasza mikulas

apad fasza mikulas MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2017
    The real informatics begins over the r̶a̶i̶n̶b̶o̶w̶s̶ windows. Until then, you will feel like "you can do a whole lot", because you don't have a clue about way much more things - simply because you've never seen them. ;)

19. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012