Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Suspiciously looks like Macs, at least the old skool Macs, way before they had Intel CPUs, have a firmware that blocks all future MacOS version numbers!
    Where the BIOS tells the installer to stop installation!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. john23

john23 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2013
    #942 john23, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Well, before some years I joined in here for the latest and original Windows Enterprise iso's. After the Microsoft spying allegation broke out, I was very disappointed and all the thrill of tinkering with Windows was gone all of a sudden. It took me some months but I was not hesitant to ditch Windows forever not only from my computer but from the computers of my relatives and friends who trusts me. Now its approx 2 years I had been with Linux. In the begining was surprised and confused due to the vast choices of distros available with Linux. Been in to distro hopping for some time and tried almost every popular distros like Ubuntu, Mint, Opensuse, Fedora, Cent OS and finally the Arch Linux. For some reason I liked Arch very much but the hectic job of installing it through the no GUI "Arch way" was not that attractive. Hence went to Manjaro Linux that offers basically an Arch Linux based distro with GUI installation mode.

How ever for an average user who only knows to open and edit Office documents, using Media player or a Web browser, transition from windows to Linux is relatively easy. Its only the matter of finding the right icon.. Lol..Ofcourse for Enthusiasts who loves to configure and customize an OS its only a matter of some days to learn it. The semi-pro guys are the only group that are not comfortable with switching OS icluding those gamers who cant tolerate any compatability issues for their favourite games or apps. Wine app can compensate to an extend for those people but only if they are willing to give it a try

And now I have forgotten those windows commands and learned the Linux ones. I will never ever go back to a fully closed source OS again. By the way I am using Manjaro Deepin flavour. Its unique design is really beautiful as per my taste.

Attached Files:

3. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #943 Kim100, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    This is not an easy task even for someone who has been here before.

I have just built a Gigabyte Brix box specifically to run a Linux distro alongside a similar PC running Windows 10. The plan is to slowly drift across until the day when I no longer use the Windows machine. Today I have tried to install Suse, just would not install, kept failing halfway through the process, so I gave up on that one. Arch and Manjaro had conflicts with my keyboard and mouse, a Logitech wireless combo [this is a well documented driver issue specific to logitech], a real shame as Manjaro looked very good. That's it for today, I will try another in a day or two.

My advice to anyone new to Linux is to stay away from Arch, its not for a novice. If you fancy Arch go for Manjaro first.

Late last night I installed Deepin, looks very nice and very easy to set up. Deepin and MX-16 went on easily with no issues, for me this has always been the case with Debian based distros.

My advice to anyone new to Linux would be to start with Debian/Ubuntu. Do not initially use wireless or Bluetooth, hard wire all peripherals and internet connection for the best chance of success. We had to do this with the other operating systems until very recently so its not that big a deal.

4. john23

john23 MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2013
    #944 john23, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Yup. Deepin is one of the most beautiful linux distro out there and is quite popular with in a short time as per Distrowatch.com. But wish to get a 3D dock, like Mac OS may be in the future. I have faced Graphics card issues with Mint OS on new laptops but Kali Linux and Manjaro never gave me any problems. Manjaro Deepin I have installed on 8 different laptops till now. All supported out of the box including bluetooth.
    Personally not interested in Ubuntu or bare bone Arch because of the need of live downloads while installing. For installing multiple computers Manjaro or Mint is best due to complete ISO download option at one go and can save time and precious bandwidth.

5. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Arch, Manjaro and Suse probably failed due to my Logitech kit. As the drivers seem to be right in Debian I will stay with Deepin for now. I will probably go back to a more basic keyboard/mouse at some point, if I do and I fancy a change I will give Manjaro another go.

6. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    After much of distro hopping, I settled on Ubuntu, based on the nice hardware support, stability and the amount of available applications, and, of course, the best community support. Removed the bloated Windows 10 RS3 from my main computer. I have a crappy, old laptop that I run Windows 10 on it, which would be used as an "external OS" only when needed.

7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Can you please tell me exactly what hardware you have (exact models, please). If Debian has the drives, they can easily be backported and I'd be happy to pass this along to the developers.

8. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
  9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ Kim100 yep looks good, I hope that you have the best luck running Linux O.S.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  11. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  12. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Now that is the big question?? Is there some secret system out there we don't know about??:dunno:

13. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    Have you looked at SoftMaker Office and PDF suite? The free versions are pretty good and the full 2016 versions have been on offer recently. There are Windows, Mac and Linux releases, it might meet your needs.

14. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Thank you but no, from the reviews I read online, SoftMaker, and other alternatives are nowhere close to MS Office and Adobe Acrobat. This is the harsh reality that Linux users have to accept for now. Until MS and Adobe decide to port their software to Linux, which I don't see that happening at all in foreseeable future.

I tried WPS Office for Linux, where is the closest to MS Office on Linux. For PDF editing, Qoppa PDF Studio and Master PDF Editor are only usable. Foxit PDF Reader has a Linux version which looks quite powerful however there is no full version for Linux. If there is a full version, Foxit would be almost as good, if not better than Acrobat.

15. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #957 Kim100, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    I am only a casual user, SoftMaker is my software of choice but that is in Windows. I am only just returning to Linux after a long break. I will check out the options you mention as I always struggle to find the software to meet all my needs in Linux.

A sticky thread on recommended software would be good.

16. Agreed. We should make it best of windows and the alternatives for linux.

17. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    This is what I intend to install at the moment unless there are better options I am presently unaware of. The majority are available for Windows & Linux making the switch as easy as possible.

OFFICE
    WPS Office
    [or Open Office]

PDF
    Master PDF Editor
    [Or Foxit PDF Reader &
    Qoppa PDF Studio]

COMPRESSION
    Peazip

MEDIA PLAYER
    SMPlayer
    [Or MPV & VLC]

MEDIA SERVER
    MediaTomb
    [Or Serviio]

VIDEO EDIT
    MakeMKV
    Handbrake
    MediaInfo
    Avidemux
    FileBot

AUDIO
    Exact Audio Copy
    XMedia Recode

IMAGE RESIZE
    Caesium
    XnConvert

PHOTO EDIT
    SharpShot

TORRENT
    qBittorrent

DOWNLOAD MANAGER
    Xtreme Download Manager

BROWSER
    Firefox

EMAIL
    Thunderbird

TOR
    Tor Browser

PASSWORD SAFE
    KeePassX

VIRTUAL DRIVE
    AcetoneISO
    OR CDEmu

VPN
    AirVPN

Regarding bittorrent, is qbittorrent the best alternative to utorrent?
    I'm trying to figure out transmission vs deluge vs qbitorrent.

Also, how does AcetoneISO compare to Daemon Tools? Any good?