Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

KeePassX doesn't support plugins, that's a deal-breaker for me.
    I use KeePass for now but the interface is buggy and I ccan't scroll on some menus and can't see the options.

1. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I have been using qbittorrent for quite a while, even back in the days when I used Windows 7, and I can tell you that it works superbly, so I do recommend it. But, as always, YMMV, depending of what you're looking for in a torrent client. I haven't used transmission or deluge, so I can't compare. As for AcetoneISO, I only use it to decompress / extract ISO files, I know you can mount images with it, but I've never tried that... It supports ISO, BIN, NRG, MDF and IMG formats.

I use Password Safe, even though it is still in the beta stage for linux. I am on Linux Mint 18.2 and I installed it from Synaptic Package Manager ("passwordsafe"). I'm not sure about plugin support in Password Safe (I don't need them) and I hope that you can install it from Deepin repository. Manjaro must have it in their repository and certainly in AUR. Hope this info will help you in your transition to GNU/Linux.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    qBit every time for me. AcetoneISO is a new one on me, I chose it on reviews, in Windows I use DVDFab. I have not used Daemon Tools for years, is there a Linux version?

3. apad fasza mikulas

apad fasza mikulas MDL Novice

Jun 23, 2017
    Which desktop manager do you use? Maybe try to run it with a higher resolution.
    But... I can't find KeePassXC in the official repos, so maybe you should use sg. else. :\

4. I'm using KDE Plasma. How do I use it at a higher resolution? My monitor is already at maximum.

5. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Check if HiDPI is turned on, if yes turn it off. You need it for resolutions higher than 1920x1080. Other than that, try changing UI font size, or font type. Try changing the theme you're using.
    What distro are you using? Do you use it in a virtual machine?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Sorry for the late reply. I'm using 1920*1080 resolution. I'll uncheck HiDPI option toinight and let you know how it goes.
    I don't suppose I could change the UI font size and type on just one application? I'll check and see.

Thanks!

7. mymslife

mymslife MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2014
    Afraid as a 20 year user of Linux, from the 0.91 with little to no X to now, I can't DISAGREE MORE so on your position.

Debian and *buntu's are more intertwined than derivatives. I've used Mint for many a years, I left to go back to the main Kubuntu because the KDE version of Mint is treated like a red headed step child, and I have no interest in any other X DE's. In the time I used Mint, I looked up an answer to a problem for *buntu or Debian and did that, no problem. I found ZERO Issues with anything Mint did to the base KUbuntu that caused issues. Matter of fact my main system is a rather antique version, for my own reasons. I still just look up a solution for Debian or *Buntu and follow it.

And using Debian itself proper is a NO GO! Why? D-F-S-G! That stupid mantra blocks things like MP3 support and a whole host of stuff. Some of this boils down into *Buntus, like the inferior VirtualBox. Debian/Canoncial fubar up VBox so it has NO USB support, even with the extensions. They have their panties in a knot over IP, BS. Well USER's do NOT CARE about it! So you have to install it from the VBox repo, and get their extension pack. Even better just get VMWare Player it works better anyway, has had FULL USB support for longer than the inferior VBox, and it WORKS! I've tried VBox on some testing basis, and found nothing but headaches. Its too bad that VMWare refuses to pull its head out of its posterior orfice and develop its support software for Linux. Oh, well ESXi and VWare Player are free, with out their tools.

There are many reasons like this in Debian as to why I won't be using it. For any one converting I will suggest Mint or KUbuntu, always. They can install it, and it will play their media, read PDF's, edit various office task files, etc. without getting into a preachy BS session on stuff USERS do NOT CARE ABOUT. Same with hardware support, especially when there is some sort of binary blob needed to make it work. Simply I and 99.999% of the users don't care. Sure you can fix it, but you then send users into the COMPILE IT option. That is a 40% or less chance of success at best. DEB's and apt-get install or Synaptic work much better. Canoncial knew this, and that is why *buntus have the OPTION to add this so called "encumbered" software be it flash or MP3 or something else. That is why it succeed.

As for some other of the "base" distros, like Red Hat. Well RH can take a LONG, VERY LONG WALK off a very short pier! From the inferior package system, to their telling desktops users to basically go away! Same with SUSE, or SLES. No thanks.

So while I see your point, I disagree. Telling some one to use pure Debian, will probably result in them giving up.

8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
  9. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #972 Kim100, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    MX-17 is just around the corner so I haven't bothered with the present release, seems a bit pointless for me at this time. While I wait for the new release I have been trying other alternatives, I am presently using Manjaro xfce which is very nice indeed with non of the hardware issues I experienced a while back with another flavour of this distro. Manjaro is very user friendly and a good choice for converts, I am so pleased with how well my little Gigabyte Brix PC is running I may stay with Manjaro.

Binned Manjaro, its pulling away from Arch and no longer compatible with the Arch Repos, this makes life difficult when looking for new software.

For one reason or another I keep going back to Debian/Ubuntu based systems, they are the most user friendly and offer the widest choice of software. Having said that Solus is very nice, very limited choice of software but the team behind it do cover most peoples needs with what is on offer.

I don't really want to use the Terminal anymore than I did in Windows, its tedious slow and boring. Its like owning a car, some enjoy driving and others like to be under the bonnet tinkering most of the time, that's why I am steering well clear of the pure Linux strains, far too geeky.

10. Rouben

Rouben MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    I'm using Ubuntu 17.10 here, keeping it as vanilla as possible on purpose. So far so good... got OpenVPN (personal and work) working with some manual config tweaks (the GNOME OpenVPN client is a bit dumb when it comes to importing existing ovpn profiles). I even got my work Exchange/Office365 email working with Evolution. Some things in modern desktop environments actually surpass even Mac OS. Printer autodiscovery and autoconfiguration, for example. My old, trusty Samsung SCX-4100 was autodetected with no issue with the correct drivers auto-installed out of the box. All in all, I find the Linux desktop environment quite stable and usable... now if only more publishers would port their games to Linux with Steam...:)

IMO Linux on the desktop has come a very very long way over the past two decades. Hats off to the countless individuals that made it possible.

11. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Not to deny the contributions of the individuals, but Canonical has been playing a key role in bringing Linux desktop to more users in 2004. The Linux for human beings.

12. dark.

dark. MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2017
  13. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  14. yuzuzu

yuzuzu MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2015
    Of course, that's obvious. It still gives a good enough picture what kind of attention the distributions get relative to each other.

15. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009