Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I seem to be looking at Manjaro as a very well polished Linux distro I am tempted to install in the future.

2. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #982 LiteOS, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    I also found my self in the few problems the op had
    but now im Ubuntu minimal with budgie DE
    it seems quiet perfect
    gfx driver works quiet well
    mouse set to speed without acc
    small bugs with normal Ubuntu budgie doesn't exist in mini

tried mint, Manjaro,Kde neon,Ubuntu Solus, sometimes few different DEs in same distro
    most of them came with of apps that i didnt want, so i decide to go with mini
    and surprisingly better for my needs

Mb im too noob to solve or not to break the OS, i dont know
    Manjaro was great but it breaked after removing few apps that i dont need and settings the OS

anyways i should ed go with Ubuntu at first place :)

move my firefox profile to linux, all works
    Im just missing Winamp :(

3. medhat258

medhat258 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2018
    Why not try OpenBDS?
    This distribution is beautiful
    You can customize them as you wish
    Strong and have good support

4. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    #984 Kim100, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    I am running Linux Lite on one machine and Windows 10 on another. From my experience and for people like me, mainly Windows user with some Linux experience, if the distro runs well on your machine you can switch if you choose the right OS.

Linux Lite is brilliant, MX Linux is just as good, I also liked Manjaro and a few others. All my needs are covered by Linux software these days unless you need top end software such as MS Office, photo & video stuff you will be ok.

I will get shot down in flames here but I feel that Linux needs time to catch up with hardware advances and drivers, its better suited to older machines, something a few years old, a Windows 8 PC perhaps. I would not install Linux on a solid state drive yet, its not ready, if your good you can do it but this corner is not for those people.

YOU CAN SWITCH, its very easy, the best time to switch is just when you think your PC is past it and your considering a new one. Linux can at least double the life span of a PC, thats the real beauty of it. The other option is to buy a new but end of line PC, a model thats just been dropped, the Linux guys should have everything in place for such a machine. Dell & HP seem to be more Linux orientated than most others.

You will notice that my choices of OS are the modified type, the ones that hold your hand and come with all the tools you need, try one of the core distros first time out and you could be scarred for life.

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    :g: ubuntu? dont forget to opt out of the spyware then;while canonical still lets you..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Amazon etc. uninstalled, yep...

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yay congrats dudette :D I always like very much Ubuntu principally after configured Compiz is amazing but need know what you are doing ;):)

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  10. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
  11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thunar is good for file exploration and management... It has the tree structure, if you choose it... :)

13. aquarius84

aquarius84 MDL Member

Oct 3, 2012

yes I like Thunar, but I think Nemo is a bit better that Thunar

14. apologist

apologist MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    With a new laptop (HP 15-BS576TX) which has hybrid graphics (Intel HD 620 Integrated with AMD Radeon 520 2GB GDDR3 dedicated GPU), I stick on with Ubuntu 17.10 (and 18.04 soon). Because, AMD R 520 (which is some re-branded 2014 HD7xxx card SI, GCN 1.0) is better supported (arguably) with newer "amdgpu" open source driver. And, this needs newest mesa libs which are provided in Ubuntu through PADOKA ppa or Oibaf PPA. I don't really think I can stick with other distros, as there is simply no other distro which has such repositories serving latest git versions of driver. I would have sticked with Debian. It is rough, even font rendering and may be even laptop optimizations may be missing in Debian versions. I may need to look at Suse Linux as they seems to have something similar to PPA repositories. Another good thing, I observed. The new WiFi module RTL8723DE is working far better in Linux than in WIndows 10. Signal strength difference is considerably high. I keep Windows 10 to use office or may be to update BIOS (if needed), IME etc. It is annoying to see that your hard drive is always busy and struggling with slow response despite 8GB of RAM. Add to this the privacy concerns. Using Linux for 16 years now, hopefully until a better operating system evolves.

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Not "better OS" but better Linux Ubuntu... :)

16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  17. aquarius84

aquarius84 MDL Member

Oct 3, 2012
  18. toffee

toffee MDL Senior Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Which one is the best for beginner?

19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Post 985. :)