Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #1121 ipx, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2022

2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    @ipx on that machine, yes, but i have got a few other machines too..
    and my tv? the tv is strictly mrs walrus`dept.. i do not let it waste my time..
    and the fact remains that canonical cannot be trusted.. a slight software fault, that renders
    the opt-out of telemetry void, and all it takes is a sorry from them...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pipa.

Pipa. MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2018
    I'm iPhone user. So, I use iTunes to move music and upgrade OS.
    But the mean question was... Is Mint 19 a good option to move to Linux?

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    My condolences, Pipa...

Yes, it's pretty good...

Noddy, you can delete all the libs, as you already heard... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Pipa.

Pipa. MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2018
    Thanks gorski.
    Maybe I will change to Linux Mint 19. However, I will do a dual boot with Windows 10 to use iTunes if I need it. I hope I can using Linux without any problem :)

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It depends on your HW config and availability of good quality drivers for Linux, kernel etc.

I have a dual boot, too - but with less leaky W7...

Good luck!

7. blarghyness

blarghyness MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2015
    I play the middle. I love Windows and Linux and use both of them on my computer depending on what it is I am trying to achieve.

8. Pipa.

Pipa. MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2018
    I have one more question:

Cinnamon or Mate? Which should I chose?

My PC has 6GB of Ram. Core i3 (Old). Without any graphics card.

9. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I use & prefer Mate as it is light, nimble & quick.

10. Both would work well.

MATE would be my personnal choice, try both and make yourself a feedback ;)

11. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #1131 ipx, Nov 6, 2018

12. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    I think you missed something. The last time I installed openSUSE (13.2), there was an option for a minimal installation for use on a server. There is no desktop installed, everything is run using the terminal. That's as minimal as you can get. Now, this may have changed with the introduction of Leap/Tumbleweed, so I'd have to go back to verify if it's still available.

13. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #1133 ipx, Nov 6, 2018

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I have to agree here with ipx: nothing beats ease and functionality of installation in Linux world, as Ubuntu and (most) Ubuntu based distros...

Sadly, EndlessOS does not follow their lead in that segment... No choosing "Something else", repartitioning etc. Really sad!

Otherwise it would have been a perfectly viable option for kids, for instance...

15. Rouben

Rouben MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Wireshark will give you “too much” detail; it will list all packets coming in and out of your box.

The closest equivalent to TCPView is probably netstat. There are a few GUIs for it on Linux, but honestly, the Linux way of doing it is on the command line.

Once you learn even the basics like grep, you will never look back... it’s just so much more efficient than clicking around and taking screenshots.

16. Rouben

Rouben MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Agree to that. I’d say Linux is probably easier to adopt by non tech savvy users. Tech savvy Windows users tend to have learned to do things a certain way and are way too GUI dependent. It takes effort to break out of that mindset and realize the flexibility and power of the terminal on Linux. Unfortunately the Windows command line and even PowerShell are horrobly limited in what they can do. PowerShell arguably is better than Windows command line, but the learning curve is parabolic compared to the Linux command line. PowerShell was clearly designed by someone who has never actually used a terminal... so wordy.

17. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #1137 ipx, Nov 25, 2018

18. Rouben

Rouben MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    I think your definition of “average joe” is that of an “average joe Windows user”, who is already way too savvy/set in their ways. It gets worse with power users, as their habits are even deeper engrained in Windowsy ways...

I’m talking about really naive/non-savvy users... like someone coming off an iOS device being a very casual user. Someone who just uses a web browser...with the very occasional need for Office apps (mainly word processor). Someone who would be perfectly happy with ChromeOS. Someone whose idea of using a USB stick is a big deal. I’d say Linux runs web browsers really well. :)

19. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #1139 ipx, Nov 25, 2018

20. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hm. i am afraid we are entering a windose vs linux discussion now,, not very on-topic or productive, imho. both have their merits, and i guess it is mostly user preference what works for you.but it was not the original subject of this thread; just take a look in the adress bar of your browser, please.