Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. NST_Adventure

NST_Adventure MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2019
    Uh Buddy @wilenty Same As Me I Also Hate Spying Like This (M$)But You Can Use Script To Remove Spying ;) :)
    Yeah And I Hate Update Too (4.5 GB WTF???)
    But Thank You @pf100 For Windows Update Control Script ;)

And anyway How's Linux now?
    (Please Note That Some Of My Msg are translated by google translate thank you google translate for assistance)

Best Regards
    NST_Adventure

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. I've recently gathered that Canonical had been spying on people, and it was no surprise that everyone was up in arms about it. Let's hope no other Linux distro does this and if so, Tails may be our only hope.

Besides, why do companies other than Microsoft have the bloody right to spy on us anyway?

3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Funny=>
    A 'right' to spy ??

If that has become a 'right', then we'd best all do as lemmings have been known to do !!

Sure, the corpies create such loopholes with their EULAs (thanks to beezlebub bill who invented the concept...) - but given that we all now know about their spying for control & profit, it behooves us ALL to resist it in any way possible (IMO).

4. StepStone

StepStone MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2020
    Pirithous,
    Thanks for your excellent, succinct criticism of Ubuntu Unity.
    5 years later, and it seems to be basically still true, unfortunately.
    I would add HP Drivers, especially HP Printer Drivers, as something difficult-to-impossible to use in Linux. Just like most proprietary drivers.
    Thanks again,
    - StepStone : - )

5. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Get a Canon printer. I have a cheep Canon MG2525 and Linux see's it, and I guess installs drivers, and done!! It works just fine.

6. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    @StepStone,
    Thank goodness that abortion called 'unity' is by now just a nightmarish memory !!

As to HP printers, I will grant that they can be a bit of a hassle to get right with print speed issues, etc - but I can say that I've set up a bunch systems with them (both standalone & shared) with only minor concerns.

Much to my surprise & delight there are a few printers & MFCs made by Brother that set up very easily, as well as getting to see Kyocera printers just get found & 100% set up with no efforts on my part needed at all.

In most regards I have found Ubuntu 18.04.x to be quite delightful & easy to use for those former windoze users I've installed it for.

7. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I have a mid range Epson Printer [XP-342 cost about £50] all the functions can be controlled via the printer control panel, works ok with all the distros I have tried and the ink is the cheapest by far. Forget cheap Epson printers tho, everything is reliant on Windows based software.

8. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    It appears that the Epson XP-342 is not offered in the US - which is very interesting.

If I needed to buy a printer nowadays I'd either get one with ink tanks or a laser printer that has good user reports & works with Linux.

Here in the US, HP now does this 'program' to entice buyers with 'free ink' - but what they leave out in the sales pitch is that they monitor your print count & charge against the supposed starting 'credit' if you print more than whatever they allow.
    Very Poor Form IMO !!

(IOT - we are there...)

9. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    HP do the same in the UK. I use Epson as I print very little, the printers and ink are cheap. I only ever use the copy cartridges, under £20 for four sets of cartridges online lasts about a year. Anyone in business/heavy user should follow your advice, not so sure about light dometic use, Laser and Tank printers are very expensive in the UK. Despite how little I use my printer I wouldnt be without it, I probably use the scanner more than I print.

10. ktgrrl

ktgrrl MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2013
    I still have and occasionally use an old HP Laserjet 4L (ca. 1990 I think), runs with CUPS (also Win XP and 7 if needed). I bought another refurb toner cartridge for it on eBay not long ago. A new toner cartridge could print up to about 3000 pages of text but all I can get now is refurbs, so I may only get about 1000 pages. Still not bad at about $15 per cartridge. It's just black print and slow, but it's been good for my occasional home use, and toner doesn't dry out and clog the print heads like an inkjet does. For scanning and color prints I also have a HP PSC inkjet that's a little less old but still a dinosaur as tech goes. It runs with CUPS and Win XP. I have several old original black and 3-color cartridges that I've refilled many times from a $10 kit. I'm amazed that both printers have held up so long, having printed several thousand pages each during grad school and a few decades after that, with relatively small cost of toner and ink. I had a highly rated Epson inkjet that didn't last more than a year or so, the cartridges were costly and couldn't be refilled, and the jets kept clogging.

I've heard that Brother and HP are the most likely printers to work well in Linux, but when I shop for another printer I'll try to test it first in a brick/mortar store with a live Linux USB, and of course read any reviews I can find for the models I'm interested in. But lately, every time I look at new printers & reviews I end up putting my wallet away. Even the "good" ones seem to be disposable units that might last through a couple of cartridge replacements.

I don't need to print a lot these days, so my oldie printers are (so long as they last) all I need for my small & infrequent jobs. If I need more than about 20 pages I put my docs on a USB and print them at Staples or some such place. I remember reading a few years ago that the "business" copier models keep a record of everything that gets printed or scanned on them, not just the number of pages. I doubt they have a huge storage capacity (perhaps it's just a large buffer to recover an unfinished job after a paper jam or other fault) but in my mind that's an easy path to exploitation of data privacy & security, so I don't print data-sensitive stuff like legal or financial docs and tax forms there.

I doubt I'll ever be able to go entirely paperless, and maybe I wouldn't want to, but I'm trying to cut down on how much paper I have to file and find again later. To that end, I mostly use my scanner now instead of printing, starting with my many project notes & drawings, hare-brained ideas, how-to docs, etc. The last week or so I've been testing a few personal wiki-maker programs, in hope of creating an easy-to-maintain cross-referenced file system with several topical "notebooks" that I'll keep on a little home server with plenty of backup redundancy. (I'm pretty much home-bound, so no need or desire to put my files in the cloud. The wiki makers I'm testing don't alter my original files unless I embed tags inside them, so I can still take what I need on a USB or in my laptop,) Of course that's a project in itself (did somebody say "procrastination"?), and setting up and actually USING such a system might be more effort than pawing through unsorted boxes of papers, poorly organized file cabs, and backup/archive drives to find what I need --all of which over the years has unintetionally become my home-brew method of Security Through Obscurity!