Why still use SLIC?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Snowski, Jul 30, 2009.

1. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Modding my BIOS took me all of 5 minutes from downloading the files needed to flashing.

Loaders don't work on every system they really suck on certain HP, Acer, and Dell laptops, and Acer Desktops. So in that case you need to mod your BIOS.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You should clarify. If you around last couple of years you would know that bios mods are easier NOW... They are much riskier, but with the technical around here, the bios modding has become an order of magnitude easier than before. Loaders were the only options before, unless you were gifted or patient.

Now you are required to be neither thanks to AndyP and the modders that have been here a while....:D:D:cool:

We will see what happens in October/November......?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    BIOS modding should be done only when no loader works. In my case upgrading to the latest BIOS from the HP website did the trick. It had SLIC 2.1 built-in, so no modding was required.

Another question: how can Microsoft disable a loader?

4. Dissonance

Dissonance MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Wow that's pretty nice. Which bios is it?

5. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    It's a misconception softmod is inferior to bios mod. each pick its own preference.
    anyway if MS blacklist the softmod key ? so will the bios mod too. As we know loader uses OEM key and cert anyway.

As it stand now whether hard mod or loader all are using the leak lenovo master key anyway.

To me my preference is bios mod. I am still waiting for the elusive ASUS 2.1 slic to surface, looks like its going to somewhere around 22 October !

6. bigbloke

bigbloke MDL Novice

May 11, 2009
    I totally disagree with both of you. who knows what code is run via a loader it is far better to mod the bios then use a clean source as you know what is running on your pc.

7. izh34

izh34 MDL Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Is this mean each update of my bios requires a new SLIC 2.1 inserted in it?

I have inserted SLIC 2.1 in my award bios. Do I need to activate my windows 7 again if I reformatting my windows? If it do, do I require to flash my bios again with SLIC 2.1 key?

And how to know that the OEM key is blacklisted? By doing updates? What will happen to my windows if the key is blacklisted?

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    if you mod a BIOS without an SLIC with an SLIC the next BIOS you flash to without a SLIC will erase the marker because it is not supposed to be there.

if you format then yeah you will have to reactive a clean install of windows.

unless you erase the SLIC in your BIOS there will be no need to reflash.

once the key gets blacklisted your copy of windows will not be genuine and will require a new key to revalidate your copy of windows.