Why use Windows 11 over other Windows versions on unsupported hardware?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by TigTex, Sep 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Linux is not an option because it is not capable of running win32 applications without some kind of translation layer like Wine and some tricks and stuff that your average grandma can't/won't do.
    Note: I'm also a linux user (archlinux)

2. Sorcerer

Sorcerer MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    I had mostly the same questions when Windows 8 was announced. Windows 7 was performing extremely well even from the Beta stages. I looked at Windows 8 with distrust, I did not see any reasons to upgrade. I am still playing games on my desktop and since then I did a few upgrades. Older Windows does not get the newer drivers or software. I ended up upgrading to Windows 8.1 and pretty soon to Windows 10. My current setup does not have TPM 2.0 or a supported CPU. I find the new imposed requirements a little artificial. I will be waiting for Microsoft to ease the requirements.

3. rustynails

rustynails MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015

Because I can lol

I have 3 systems about 10 years old running windows 11 22449.1000 as the main OS. and they all run really good .Two are running VM Win 11 22449.1000 each and another is running 3 VM's of Win 11 22449.1000 . all as main systems :) why? the challenge to do what should not be done according to MS :)

4. #24 Deleted member 578156, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2021
    Well there may be unsupported hardware but you can still get same level of system protection in Windows 11 that is purely software based plus its new Windows code to play with and its free. You could stick with Windows 10 till its end of support date that's completely your choice.

5. Mobocratic Asylum

Mobocratic Asylum MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Why not? It's FUN pushing the envelope as a challenge just to see how it performs.

(especially if you have several unused PC and laptops sitting around gathering dust)

6. TeeJayD

TeeJayD MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2015
    Because we can.

7. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    I don't use ancient operating systems and I don't run ancient hardware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. gt2554

gt2554 MDL Junior Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Yeah, it can be done with the help here on MDL. I did it on a 2009 system that cannot run Windows 10 (nvidia chipset), This old junk was given to me and I was curious to see if I could make it work. But once I got it working and used it a bit, I was amazed at how ancient Windows 7 seems now after 6 years using Windows 10. Windows 10 does not seem so far behind Windows 11, compared to how positively ancient Windows 7 feels compared to 10. I just can't go back that far. I can tolerate LTSB 2015/2016 but I refuse to use anything older. The experience sucks.

9. gt2554

gt2554 MDL Junior Member

Apr 3, 2010
    1. Windows 10 runs better than 7 on a Core2 Quad Q6600 from 2007 -8GB ram, SATA SSD, GTX750
    2. Said Q6600 also runs Windows 11 decently. It's fun to try just to find out.
    3, Anyone still using any mechanical hdd as a system disk needs intervention.
    4. Using Windows 7 today feels like punishment.
    5. If a system is too old to run Windows 10 decently, it should be trashed.
    6. LTSB/LTSC 2015,2016,2019 are an option with the help of MDL, and are almost as light as 7.

10. scaramonga

scaramonga MDL Senior Member

Oct 27, 2012
    #30 scaramonga, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    I suppose because its nice to install s**t, on crap you don't use, just for giggles? :) After all this gloom of Covid, hey, we all need a good laugh, and I know Win11 supplies that in spades, but we all like to push the envelope in some form, plus, I'd never ever honestly run it on a system I was actually gonna use ;)

11. pc71520

pc71520 MDL Junior Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Well for now we can only speculate as to the viability of any such bypassing. They could still introduce something in the final version that we haven't bypassed yet.
    But to your point, I'm not sure there really is a good reason to using Win11 over Win10. A few people like the UI changes. I think some of it looks okay but it comes with many downsides.
    It is clearly designed for touch screens and to adjust it so that the spacing for things reverts to the spacing that was normal for keyboard and mice requires a bit of tinkering.
    Many right click and keyboard shortcuts are not the same or just don't work so if you enjoyed quickly navigating to things, those aren't there or may require extra steps.

From what I can tell there isn't any extra performance at all even on the most high end systems.
    Direct Storage, the selling point for gaming had backlash for being win11 only and has been promised to win10 so that possible performance gain isn't there.

I may try it out for a while after it is released just to get a proper assessment. I don't like writing something off after only using it in a vm off and on.
    I also don't like judging something based on a beta version, especially in an operating system.
    I plan to at least use it for a month, provided I can stand it. After that I'll probably end up going back to win10 ltsb latest version.

13. gt2554

gt2554 MDL Junior Member

Apr 3, 2010
    #33 gt2554, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    I just got a "new" (to me) old motherboard, CPU, and RAM donated to me today that was headed for the landfill. This time it's an Asus P8Z68-V PRO, i7-2600K, 16GB, circa 2011.

Just for fun... I tossed it in a case from 2007 and added an 850 EVO SSD from 2015. Runs 11 like a charm, even using the onboard graphics... LOL, LOL, LOL... yeah, yeah you really need TPM 2.0, secure boot, 8th gen CPU and a $1200 graphics card for this one... haha :)

14. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yeah but will it run Crysis?

15. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Thank you Murphy for all your assessment posts of Windows 11. Any idea when the New LTSC hits the markets ?

16. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm not entirely sure. It could be released with the rest of the vlsc stuff in oct or november or it could get released early next year. I've heard both. But just because it will be released at a later point in time doesn't mean it will be a new build. I forget which build number it will be, but I don't think it's going to match the latest win10 build. I also am not sure if it will support direct storage. I personally don't care because I don't have the hardware for that. I'm just giving a heads up for people who may not be aware.

17. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Thank you for the response. I'm awaiting that LTSC for over a year now. I'm so eager to upgrade from my 8.1 that I recently considered upgrading to 11 but then I was closely following all the 11 threads and decided against it. In my opinion 11 is in the same boat as 8 was in, half baked. While 8.1 was till date the best OS to ever see the light of the day, the same could very well be true for 11, we'll have to wait and see but in any case, we gotta give give time to 11 for it to mature.

As for LTSC I don't care if it's 19041, 19043, 19044 so long it gets the long term support. I think Windows 10 has matured enough to be stable and secure that it could be relied upon. I've also heard next LTSC will be based upon 11. 2026 will be a good time to get a new machine and hop on to new 11 based LTSC.

Thanks again for answer.

18. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #38 Espionage724, Sep 10, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    What new features?

What's the problem with a translation layer? If the software works and performs well enough, I can't see an issue. Technically don't 32-bit apps on Windows already go through some translation layer on 64-bit? Also, my grandma would likely be just browsing the web :p

Most mainstream games run fine through Wine Staging or Proton, and presumably the largest holdouts (EAC) will be fine too when Steam Deck comes out.

I remember this being fun with macOS and hackintoshes; I started out with PearPC emulator, and eventually moved to a bare-metal install of Tiger. Snow Leopard was the last version I really messed with.

I don't know if Windows has that same appeal for me to bother, although it'd help if there was something actually appealing about W11. With macOS, it just being different at a low-level (BSD/Unix, kexts) was more than enough for me to be interested (it was fun learning how things worked), but I always liked it's UX. Even today I'm still kind of interested in giving a hackintosh another go; I've had a taste of Continuity when I had a Macbook and want that back lol.

W11 is just Windows with a new skin mostly, a more annoying/enforced Defender, and potentially faster game loading for the small handful of current games that'll support DirectStorage (even though games already load pretty quick with NVMe on W10). I've played around with temp installs of W11 betas just to see what was new, but I'd have to seriously consider why I'd try to use it legitimately.

I'd still upgrade to W11 as long as all my software worked (since my hardware is supported; forget it if I had to use any sort of workarounds), but I absolutely need to be able to disable real-time scanning on Defender, and I'm unaware of any method to do this aside from breaking file integrity (deleting/renaming files). Real-time scanning disables no problem on W10. I only have a Windows install nowadays for VR gaming, and thus have it tweaked for maximum performance (I dual-boot Linux and use it for general and serious matters). Real-time Defender scanning is a large bar for me to upgrade to W11.

19. crypticus

crypticus MDL Senior Member

Jun 29, 2015
    why are you talking just to be talking we all know win11 has great features. integrated android apps, new virtual desktop, directstorage, directx update etc

20. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009