Why we choose our usernames / avatars?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by timesurfer, Oct 29, 2010.

Part of (genesis block). ;)

1. psi7

psi7 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2018
    It's difficult to choose a name for me so I just start with some nonsense or lesser nonsense because a user name is usually needed. There are "places" where its not needed, also. Times changing, and internet is older today.

2. BetanTest

BetanTest MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2012
    My user id is just a close variation of my name. Years ago when I was in school learning to program, people took the old Toys R Us name and nicknamed me Beta N Test ... since most of my coding assignments I was addicted to testing and enhancing continually right up to the time it was to submit the assignment to my professor. While most of my classmates had pretty UI and so-so code, I had good code but a spartan UI like a beta not RTM product. My avatar ... over the years I have had it with people IRL (like politicians, big pharma CEOs, my neighbor who thinks it's still the 70s and he's god's gift to mature divorced women ...) who talk just to hear themselves talk but provide no constructive solutions to anything.

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I used to ride dirt bikes nearly every weekend for 20+ years. I preferred wet. The group I rode with loved hard goat tracks which were a lot of hard work so we were never cold even in winter.
    Mud, clay, river crossing, bogs - loved it all. I actually think I rode quicker in these conditions - hence I was given the nickname flipper by my mates...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Piers Patxi

Piers Patxi MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2019
    It feels somewhat awkward posting to such an old thread, but this was just the bit of whimsy I needed. First, a note (or four):
    @MrT0ad: freakin' great story ; @jlgager: your icon is priceless ; @Kido: you would be grown by now :) ; and @nodnar "...way back when work was still fun" (I feel ya!)

Anyway, I'll go: My name is based on a character from Piers Anthony's world of Xanth. A human with the power to create enchanted paths and invisible walls that can allow the transport or prevent the passage of any creature. The curse lasts until he is ever thanked for his efforts, which looks like will never happen since the curse also does not allow characters to thank him.
    The Avatar is of mystical tunnels; passages able to transport to another "place."

Side note: I accidentally created the name with a space in it...wish it was just PiersPatxi :oops:

5. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    Chosen these nick based on my high school nickname. "never owned a mac in high school, too expensive for my parents back then" + Car Nissan pick-up truck "macnavarra", changed to pcnavarra a couple of months ago.

6. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. zdb1115

zdb1115 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2019
    I choose my name because I just like it

zdb1115

ths。

8. First part of name is the Welsh spelling of my forename, second part the digits of my birth year.

Avatar was generated under Identicon (I think... can't remember its name now) and based on the first three letters of my username. The colours were custom :)

9. Ramon Nivar

Ramon Nivar MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2019
    In general,i won't use my really name,as this involves personal privacy.

10. antiCMOS

antiCMOS MDL Junior Member

Sep 7, 2020
    Think it was about 1999 when I got my first computer; an IBM Aptiva. I was clueless concerning any part of it but I saw how cool it was, and could spend literally hours/days on it and accomplish absolutely nothing, and have fun doing it:cool: It was running Windows 95a. Anticmos was actually the first virus my puter was infected with. It was on a Windows boot floppy to boot no less. Someones idea of a funny joke I guess. Anyone remember the anticmos virus? Anyway, my handle doesnt describe me in any way. It just left quite an impression on me, and its not that common of a name...

11. Jingzin

Jingzin MDL Senior Member

Nov 10, 2021
    because of thats the word that came to my mind when i was forced to have some kind of name while registering here. it should be Jingxin i guess and just found out its meaning. "with utmost care fine meticulous detailed" so thats actually me when i do something it has to be done perfectly

12. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    because I try to light people's way,,
    and I have a lot of dark inside.
    mystery solve