Why we choose our usernames / avatars?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by timesurfer, Oct 29, 2010.

Part of (genesis block). ;)

1. psi7

psi7 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2018
    It's difficult to choose a name for me so I just start with some nonsense or lesser nonsense because a user name is usually needed. There are "places" where its not needed, also. Times changing, and internet is older today.

2. BetanTest

BetanTest MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2012
    My user id is just a close variation of my name. Years ago when I was in school learning to program, people took the old Toys R Us name and nicknamed me Beta N Test ... since most of my coding assignments I was addicted to testing and enhancing continually right up to the time it was to submit the assignment to my professor. While most of my classmates had pretty UI and so-so code, I had good code but a spartan UI like a beta not RTM product. My avatar ... over the years I have had it with people IRL (like politicians, big pharma CEOs, my neighbor who thinks it's still the 70s and he's god's gift to mature divorced women ...) who talk just to hear themselves talk but provide no constructive solutions to anything.

3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I used to ride dirt bikes nearly every weekend for 20+ years. I preferred wet. The group I rode with loved hard goat tracks which were a lot of hard work so we were never cold even in winter.
    Mud, clay, river crossing, bogs - loved it all. I actually think I rode quicker in these conditions - hence I was given the nickname flipper by my mates...