WiFi and Bluetooth interaction.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by deadpda, Jan 7, 2010.

1. deadpda

deadpda MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    I've a sony vgn-nr21 laptop running 64 bit ultimate. I also have a FreeNAS server which I access through wifi (D Link 655). The WiFi card is the 4965 from Intel. I also have a USB micro dongle which I sync my phone with.

When I access media (videos and audio) on the server playpack periodically halts, then catches up.

This is caused by some interaction between the USB Bluetooth dongle and the WiFi, because when the USB dongle is removed the problem stops.

When the laptop is running ubuntu (dual boot) there is no problem.

Watching the task manager graph it is obvious that the problem is every 20 seconds or so, thus I suspect that something is polling, or scanning or something.

The workaround is to remove the dongle, but does anyone know of a better solution, which would allow me to keep the bluetooth dongle attached?

The dongle is a no-name brand from China or HK, and other than this problem is superb.

Any ideas?

2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Maybe setting your wireless router to broadcast on a different channel. Not sure if this will help. I can tell you that my kids machine runs on wi-fi and ran very slowly untill i switchted to a different channel. :D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. deadpda

deadpda MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    Thank you, though I doubt it will help - the laptop works 100% for 95%of the time, and 100% of the time when booting Ubuntu.

Its just for the 20 seconds when the connection just disappears - as if something wipes it out.

Usually it is running at 130 Mbps!

Dead.