Wildlife streaming to Windows 10 PC

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by lostpassword, Feb 18, 2017.

1. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I have a Windows 10 PC with 2 screens. I would like to be able to watch the birds on my bird-feeder. The feeder is not visible from the PC location.

I do not want to broadcast to the outside World or Internet
    I do not need Infra Red Night Time or Motion Activation.
    It must be to the PC. I do not one of these new fangled Smart phones or tablets or Android etc.
    I do not need continuous recording.

I would like continuous feed to my Win 10 PC screen, time at my choice
    I can provide a cable feed for power and data
    The camera will be outside, and has to be weatherproof.
    The viewing distance from camera to feeder would only be about 2 metres, and could be a fixed focus length if that was a lot more economical.

The birds are red kites, who never actually land, but swoop down and grab a piece of meat. Other birds would probably learn, and they would perch on the table. Robins (UK variety) and Blackbirds are always ready for a free meal!

Would some kind soul please tell me if a simple solution is possible. VGA would be good enough. Advice as to what hardware and software is what I need. On Aliexpress Cameras can be as little as $50, whilst other sites show $500.

I think a video stream converter is also needed, but not sure with newer PC.

Many thanks.

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I will investigate them. With a bit of luck we will have some very happy red kites.

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    :clap::clap::clap:
    I am curious to ask this question though. Are you an Ornithologist? I can barely list 10 birds and categorize them according to their nomenclature. I would like to see your livestream when done. Thank you.