Will 8.1 be pushed or forced via Windows Update?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by donalgodon, Sep 11, 2013.

1. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I know that nobody knows for sure, but I'm asking for views of more experienced users.

If I want to stay on 8.0 until all the dust settles around 8.1, will I have to turn off auto update to preserve my current installation?

I mean, will MS shove it down our throats, or will it be a separate installer that will require us to choose to update, and will we be getting updates for 8.0 after 8.1 is officially released?

2. Lacius

Lacius MDL Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Windows 8.1 will not be forced upon Windows 8 users. You can keep auto-updates on, and it will not install Windows 8.1. You will continue to receive normal Windows updates for Windows 8.

However, Windows updates for Windows 8 will cease two years after the official release of Windows 8.1. After two years, you will be required to manually upgrade to Windows 8.1 if you want to continue receiving updates.

3. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I just want to add that 8.1 wouldn't even be coming as an optional component on Windows Update,but via the Windows Store,so auto-updating shouldn't(as far as we've been told) 'surprise' anyone with an unintentional OS upgrade.

4. donalgodon

donalgodon MDL Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Thanks guys. Seems like the 'thanks' button is gone.

I just wanted to confirm, because I'm really trying to wait until all the issues are worked out a bit more before I have the update installed. :)

5. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    You're not the only one that's probably going to delay the update,given how buggy even the RTM for 8.1 is :| On the plus side,my prediction of 1.5 gigabytes worth of updates on launch day (from a clean RTM install) is coming closer and closer to becoming correct :rofl:

6. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Ah,so you got tired to pointlessly troll ian82 and get deleted again :p (for future reference - it's laugh,not laught).
    Let's see:
    - Sluggish search performance (way slower than 8.0/7)
    - Metro UI regression - 1st Not destop pinning apps by default (it's way easier to've just created a filter that pinned only the installed app tile,minus the extras)
    2nd Not pinning Metro Apps by default - As of 8.1 you've got to first install the app and then play hide and seek to find it,so you can pin it on the desktop,when the whole point of Metro Apps is to install and start using an app as soon as you grab it from the store.
    3rd Start Menu customization can be a nuisance after initial setup and doesn't provide the option to lock-in Column names/etc
    -Hardware front - Noticeable performance regression during gameplay(among others), occasionally jittery multimedia playback, worsened driver support in terms of stock drivers

-Additional, Avoiding the use of a Microsoft Account at boot gets harder and harder (it's insane how hard they're pushing those accounts and how hidden the local account creation option has become)
    -Privacy concerns using the new search function (although that can be avoided unless you click 'express install')

...Etc,etc,etc...

7. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #7 sevenacids, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    It's no bugs, it's by design! :D

Confirm bad performance on drivers. I hope it's gonna be better when we reach GA. Avoiding a Microsoft account during setup: Just disconnect your LAN and WiFi and you'll be fine.

8. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #8 bk109, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Let me pour myself a couple of stiff ones and I'll agree completely :D
    Ah,another bug I experienced (though it might've been caused by Intel's drivers),was thermal shutdowns ~55*C on both an Ivy and Haswell i7-based laptop(s).

edit: Yeah,I know that you've got to do that for local accounts these days,but you've got to agree that it's a bit absurd. By the time of Windows 8.2/Windows9,we'll have to use a spellbook to invoke one,lol :D

9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Actually it's still possible without tricks to enable the local account. They just changed it to go through the new account menu.
    At the bottom of the new account menu, it has a choice to create local account.