Will MS really end the "free" "Upgrade" to W10 in July ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Mutoid, May 19, 2016.

1. Mutoid

Mutoid MDL Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #1 Mutoid, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
    I put those words in quotes because it's only "free" in the sense that you don't give money to MS ,
    but like social networks , you pay a heavy price in personal data and the rights to it .

And as for "Upgrade" , I don't need or want Edge , Cortana or any of the other "wonders" that W10 has .
    OK , for W8.x users , the "Start" button came back ..... Wow ! ...." Vorsprung durch technik "

But it's still " lipstick on a pig " , IMO.

I had a client contact me today who woke up to find W10 had installed itself , without permission
    or consent , on a W8.1 machine .... OK ,no big surprise there .... it's happened all over the world ,
    especially to people with Updates set to " Auto ".

I'm just thinking ..... maybe MS are going to start one final super-aggressive push , before that cut-off date.

Anyway , I'm curious to hear what other people think .

Maybe it's worth starting a poll , with these options ?

1. It certainly WILL end
    2. More than likely it will end
    3. Fifty-fifty chance
    4. More than likely it will NOT end
    5. Certainly will NOT end
    6. DFK/DFC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I think it is going to end.

However, I do hope for 6 months extension.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    If they have announced it officially, they're obliged to do it, but they may create a caveat that amounts to an extension.

The funny logic is that people who don't want it for free will be expected to pay for it.

Yet, knowing human nature, I dare say that if it stops being free, it will receive more appreciation - not that it deserves it.

4. skee83

skee83 MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2016
    Who cares? It's an ugly piece of junk that collects too much data anyway.

I went back to 8.1 and im loving it, At least 8.1's UI doesn't make me want to vomit.

5. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

8.1 also has telemetry.

6. skee83

skee83 MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2016
    You can disable it supposedly, but it's still not as bad as win 10, Windows 10 even has a keylogger built into it lol.

Aside from all that though it's a hideous looking OS, I would have to get window blinds or something to theme it before i could even use it.

7. balackobama

balackobama MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2016
  8. BilliBob

BilliBob MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2008
    If only all the spying could be disabled...