Will not start

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by swettylez, Oct 14, 2015.

1. swettylez

swettylez MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2015
    I installed this on a Laptop running Windows 8.1 x64 and I get the following error when I try to open any one of the Office applications

"The program cant start because api-ms-crt-stdio-l1-1-0.dll is missing from your computer.
    Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

or api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll
    or api-ms-crt-heap-l1-1-0.dll

depends on which application I try to open.

I've tried reinstalling with no success and have also tried various so called fixes found online, none of them work. I've even tried downloading the 3 mentioned .dll's and placing in Windows\system32 which only results in a Blue Screen on startup.
    I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any answers.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    But whether that file is actually there, and it just can not be found or the file does not exist really?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
  4. swettylez

swettylez MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2015
    #4 swettylez, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanks for the reply xinso I'll give your suggestion a try when I get back home tonight. If it's not the first one then it's a good chance it's the second, I haven't updated Windows for a good while.

Tried both of the above suggestions and sorry to say neither of them helped, I'm still getting the exact same error message. If any one else can come up with a possible solution I really would appreciate your help.

Thanks again for any replies.