Will the oem keys on coa's work with the download iso for win7 sp1?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tech6, Oct 11, 2012.

1. tech6

tech6 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    I don't have much to add, but I'll try to make it more clear.
    There are the links to download win 7 sp1 on the digital life site.
    My question is this: If I want to use one of the iso's (burned to a dvd or usb drive)
    to do a fresh install, is my coa oem key on my computer going to work with it?
    I talked on the phone with someone from microsoft that told me the iso's are retail and that my oem
    key will not work to activate them. I know that oem keys are different from retail, but I got turned on to
    the page for the iso downloads, in light of wanting to reinstall, but not having an install medium.
    The guy didn't seem to know english well enough to answer my other question for him.
    Which is: will an initial release key activate an sp1 install?

So, the main question, are the downloadable iso files for windows 7 on this site, oem keyable? Or retail key only?
    (are they oem iso's, or retail iso's?)

Thank you.

2. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Not strictly true on my Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop my OEM:COA sticker key is dell OEM:SLP key not OEM:NONE SLP

4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Thats odd, any COA Windows key I have dealt with was a MAK key. I guess it depends on the manufacturer.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    They are not MAK keys i,e, Multiple Activation Key that is completely different type of key. COA:NONE SLP keys are individual keys everyone is different that is how you could use the loophole and call MS and activate it on a different machine but then your are as you said tied to that machine. As I mentioned on my COA label Mines is OEMAct key but it is SLP o_O

6. tech6

tech6 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2012
    Thanks for the replies. A little confusing, I must say. Maybe that's the way m$ wants it. I don't know.
    Anyhow, my thinking is this: I have a part time job fixing computer problems. I thought that these win 7 iso's might be a way that, in the
    event a client needed/wanted a fresh install of win 7, I could do the reinstall and use the key that is on the sticker that came with their computer. Thereby avoiding them having to purchase a retail win 7.
    I used to have a dell that had a win xp pro sp2 coa. I obtained an xp pro sp2 oem (specifically dell, even) cd and was able to reinstall xp pro sp2 by using the coa on the dell. This is the same type of scenario for which I was looking.
    I just think it is ridiculous to have to pay for a win 7 key/retail dvd, if you have a legit install/coa and all that needs done is a fresh install.

7. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Go ahead and install a fresh install of Windows 7 on your clients computer. If the key doesn't get accepted, we can always insert the correct cert tied to that computer brand if it is an OEM:SLP key. Its no hassle at all :biggrin:

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007