Will We See Motherboards With "Blank SLICs" Or Somesuch?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by drool, Mar 1, 2010.

1. drool

drool MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2010
    It occurs to me that, when it comes to trying to do an OEM Windows 7 install, most motherboard makers just don't have a dog in this fight. They may not want to anger Microsoft but they certainly don't want to discourage sales.

The obvious danger of modding an older BIOS is that you will have to displace something that performs some sort of functionality. Do this wrong and you brick the motherboard.

Do you think the motherboard makers may end up placing some sort of place-holder in the BIOS where the SLIC table should be? Something that can easily be discarded to make room for "something else"? (Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.)

Well, what do you think?

2. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    You've missed something probably? Many (i'd dare to say - majority of) motherboards' manufacturers do it for a few years already, since SLIC ACPI table was patented. Empty SLIC table can be found in all or in most of new Intel, Insyde, AMI, Phoenix BIOS's, or sometimes even not empty but a valid "MSTESTTESTONLY" SLIC.

3. Marmot

Marmot MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    Interesting, I just got such a MB! No slic in the bios, which I found strange but I went ahead and flashed it. I'm having no troubles with it, Win 7 installed and validated so I hoping I am good for the time being. BTW, it was an ASUS M4N78-Pro board, the original bios was Rev. 1004. I flashed with a 1111 version with an ASUS 2.1 slic. Also, when looking at the bios, there were many references that said "to be inserted by OEM manufacturer, or something to that effect.