Will Windows 7 RTM update to the retail version?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rackerz, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Rackerz

Rackerz MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    I was just wondering whether the RTM version will continue to update to the retail version that may be updated before release on Oct 22.

Will it update or will the retail version need to be installed?

Thanks

2. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    If you go read the Win 7 Updates thread, so far only the kernel gets a new build number but the actual build number stays the same. I seriously doubt you'll have to upgrade to a retail version.

3. 1234s282

1234s282 MDL Member

Apr 23, 2009
    No Sorry

You will have to do a Reinstallation - Most probably a clean one too!

Microsoft have stated that users will NOT be able to upgrade from the RC to the final , so I would have a guess that the same applies with the RTM version.

The RTM version will always update. If its working and activated fine , you will continue to get updates for it

4. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    He was referring to the RTM not the RC. It's been known you'd have to do a reinstall if you wanted Win 7 retail - no upgrade from RC.

5. Stormcrow

Stormcrow MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The boxed retail versions which will go on sale *are* the RTM version.

OEM versions on pre-installed PCs will also be the same, but the OEMs may have included some updates that became available between RTM and them shipping boxes.

All that you need to do with your existing RTM is keep it up-to-date via windowsupdate.

No re-install required.

--
    SC

6. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Althought the sound of the mod to upgrade from RC to RTM may be good, the actual practicality of it isn't. A fresh install would be a much better option!

7. Voiture Lumiere

Voiture Lumiere MDL Member

May 31, 2009
    What's on MSDN will probably be those on shelves as well, since the hash on MSDN matches the leaked RTM 7, it's the same thing.
    The bottom line is the leaked RTM is what will be on shelves later on, just without the activation code.

8. Everilda

Everilda MDL Senior Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I agree that a fresh install is the best option, but I tried the upgrade purely out of interest to see if it worked and it was fine.

If anyone has a frankenbuild i.e. RC activated with Toolkit 1.8 then a fresh install is definitely advisable.