Will you have to pay for up-dates ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Buckie, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Can someone confirm ?

Its better to make CLEAN INSTALL Backup Image for future.:tasty:

2. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Just more fud......I have installed it more then 10 times on the same pc no problem. Also far more than 10 times in the same VM...again no problem

3. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012

Thanks !! for the Info.:clap:

4. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I understand what you're saying. But if a person has a retail key of 7 or 8.1, and they install 10, then the motherboard dies, or say the HDD, do you think that the company that handed away free 10 is going to tell people that because they can't prove they upgraded they are out of luck, when Alu said all a person has to do is call Microsoft and explain what happened.

So you realize what will happen when people can't get 10 back, there will be a massive backlash, and MS would scramble to fix it.

If you think this will happen, then you should run the Genuine ticket on your win 10 system and save it, now you have proof you upgraded.

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Exactly, back in the days of Windows XP I had to call MS multiple times because I repair computers for friends, and family. In many cases the motherboard had died. A rep would ask if I had replaced hardware, and I would say what, and then I would get the activation code. Very easy, very simple. I have never had an issue reactivating with a legit key, even on a brand new home built machine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    I can say the same. Over the years I've told MS that the MOBO died, PSU shorted out, all kinds of reasons and said this was the replacement the MFG sent. Now all were built and not a HP, Dell OEM. Then after a speech about how it was only tired to that board, they would give me that enormous number. I remember getting a hard time about a retail license and actually had reps say that it's only for that PC, then hung up and called again.

7. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    I was using win 7 for the last few years then when win 10 came out thought will uograde and see if it work better if there are improvements, I don't use windows for gaming only for a bit of surfing and things like after effect 3ds max. After I installed Windows 10 cortana popped out saying "hi would you let me access your contacts?" then "would you let me access your documents?" then files and all that crapware stuff in win 10 as month passed I had enough and wanted to go back to Windows 7 installed win 7 back and tried to activate it but my key was blocked genuine key.
    Thought will contact Microsoft and they will help me there's that Microsoft tech support website where you can chat with their team, I wasted hours talking to some woman from Philippines who did nothing to help me activate windows 7 in the end I thought I will install windows 10 back as I found after month of using Windows 10 your win 7 and 8 keys get blocked by crapsoft
    When I installed Windows 10 it got activated but I just had to get rid of that crap cortana and other crap spyware using MSMG and Install_wim_tweak as I learned sometimes windows got broken and had to install it again after 5 times I couldn't activate it anymore but at least finally got rid of tones of useless packages. I was curious if Microsoft is blocking keys after you reinstall windows several times so I tried the same thing on my other pc and that key got blocked too.

Didn't bother calling or chatting to Microsoft as they don't fell like helping anybody.

Windows 10 has pluses over 7 one it takes less space second use less ram but it's also filled with tones of apps people never use plus spyware on scale Microsoft didn't do it before.

8. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Seems that people who are facing activation issues is due to server overload. Try from different connection and see whether it works ?

9. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG MDL Novice

May 31, 2008
    That's why even I have genuine keys I still use KMS/slic, too much trouble to deal with MS.

p.s. my win7 and win 8.1 key didn't block after update to win10, and currently running win 8.1

10. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I can't see how they would block Win 7 and 8 keys after you upgrade. I mean they offer you the option to rollback to your previous OS. So in 3 weeks you decide to roll back then your previous OS is no longer licensed? I don't think so. Maybe the block the previous keys after several months or a year of you using Windoze 10.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #32 Enthousiast, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    The rollback time is locked to 30 days/1 month, after this periode you shouldn't be able to rollback, clean reinstall of old windows version still is possible.

On 2 different laptops tested, after upgrading to 10, reinstalling 7.1 with original key (the_guardian multi oem project used, it whas the same key) worked and activated.

12. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014

No, I think you must have Windows confused with OS X...;) No--that can't be right because who would want to install OS X more than once?

Seriously, where do people pickup all of this nonsense? The OP in the thread is total FUD...I'm convinced for some warped reason known only to them that people make up this nonsense and pass it off just to see how many people will believe it. Unreal. People will believe almost anything, I guess...I've probably installed a Win10 build 20 times, myself, over the last year, at least. Sometimes, people can be real idiots...o_O

I wonder...do they maybe consider it their "civic duty" or something to spew this kind of weirdo FUD? Bizarre.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
  14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009

I've also been installing W10 for hundreds of times since it whas released (HWID/DE activation) and everytime "slmgr /dlv" shows: 1001 reactivations so you're definitly wright :)

15. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015

That has nothing to do with clean installing and the new HWID server act.

16. nosense

nosense MDL Senior Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Do you get this ID10T Error code, when trying to reactivate?

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    On one and the same system. Or do you mean david34 mentioning the 5 times activation limit and HWID/DE?

18. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Both, rearm has nothing to do with a clean install getting act off MS server, and there's no such limit, at least not stated by MS.

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That's what i was trying to say, the 5 time limit is not true :)