Win 10 S to debue Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SAM-R, May 1, 2017.

1. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    your correct u cant compare it to a chrome book...but still very expensive.. i pick up a Dell or HP or ASUS with touch screen 8gig of ram, SSD for much less than the starting price $999 wish only gives u 4 gigs u want 8gigs u have to dish out $1300 and u cant upgrade anything on them does surface is seal.

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #22 Hadron-Curious, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
    That makes a lot of sense. Google Pixel was never marketed as Chromebook although a two in one, more of a tablet that can be compared to Surface Pro variants of Microsoft.

The curious thing about the comparison is the specifications and pricing. Chromebooks are known to have relatively low specifications and dirt cheap in pricing. I think it is time Microsoft really drop the comparison to Chromebook. When the production of the dirt cheap ones by OEM(as you said it will start from $189) start then there can be good reasons to do the comparison.

Has anybody tested the Windows 10 S by any chance?

3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    This is the problem with large corporations that taunt global warming from tongue-in-cheek project whereas they are doing otherwise all in the name of profit. When such system that can not be upgraded fails it might end up disposed off normally contributing to pollution in the environment. From Apple to Microsoft have a way their technology contributes to ozone depletion while telling the masses they are green-friendly companies. I can point to huge number of the tech giants products out there wasting away because they can't be upgraded or have one or more security issues that rendered them useless.

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    and the worst part is that a lot of people dont know is....if your device gets damage and is under warranty u go into the MS store and they give a refurbished laptop of the same brand u have.. after u pay over thousand dollars for your...they give u a use one....and if your out warranty it will cost u around $250 for a refurbished.

5. NsaFarm

NsaFarm MDL Junior Member

Mar 29, 2017
    AFAIK there was a reg key which limits any windows to only store apps. Having trouble finding it now. May be just as simple as changing it back.

Never purchased a laptop over $500. I imagine $1000 used buys a monster of a machine. The warranty has never been a factor, for me its an alien concept.

6. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Just like Apple. You take in your broken iPhone still under warranty and they give you a used one with 90 warranty. :mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    yep apple and MS have a sweet racket with their warranty policy. 100% profit u turn yours in they give u a use one....they fix the one u gave them and sell it some one else.

8. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    How to activate a clean installation of Windows 10 S on a normal netbook?

9. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    #29 dmex, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Secureboot.

An option to disable Secureboot should be present in the firmware (just like previous surface machines) but nobody knows for sure if the option exists on those machines (yet).

All binaries from the store are signed by Microsoft. The kernel "Code Integrity Module" ci.dll checks if the signature matches otherwise blocks the application from launching.

10. chillipig

chillipig MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I imagine just swapping it out for the version in pro doesn't work?

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    On the contrary, you can clean install any other Windows 10 SKU.

12. dbc629890bc0cd17e1b4f49c8

May 3, 2017
    #32 dbc629890bc0cd17e1b4f49c8, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
    IMO this product is DOA. The EDU world has pretty much settled on chromebooks at this point so you're having to justify yourself either to the few places that don't already have devices or groups doing refreshes.

More damning though is the restriction to the Microsoft store. If you haven't looked there lately it's about what you would expect from a group in the 'also ran' category of walled garden environment makers. Certainly doesn't hold a candle to the play store.

edit: I would also point out that with chomebooks you're probably also going to buy G Suite for the management aspect (which, if you haven't had to managed a couple thousand end users, is more important than the devices themselves). That and this line:

"The Surface Laptop costs from $999 with a Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage and will ship on 15 June."

From the guardian article that I can't link because I'm a 1 post chump. The price/performance is just laughable. You're not going to spend a grand on a laptop for kids who are going to spill milk all over them when you can get a not-bottom-tier chromebook with the management fee for half that. Cost is the primary factor that caused chromebooks to win over iPads for EDU.

13. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    And don't forget, every kid has an iPhone and needs iTunes on his/her laptop. I doubt we'll see iTunes in the MS store any time soon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. dbc629890bc0cd17e1b4f49c8

May 3, 2017
    I don't know about that. I have an SE and haven't had a reason to use itunes for ages outside of backups (which most people either aren't going to do or are going to use icloud). Going by analytics numbers for a popular enough site that I'll trust the data, I expect you're going to see more and more people using their iPhone/iPad/etc as their only device. Laptops/Desktops are being relegated to gamers, professionals, and people who realize the horrendously awful privacy and security tradeoffs you make living your live through a mobile device.

15. RamGuy

RamGuy MDL Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Will we be getting any ISO's of this? I want to test it a VM to see how improved it actually is in terms of resource requirements, boot times etc.. Unless it's noticeably better compared to regular Windows 10 Pro I see no point in trying to make various family members and other scenarios where the whole "Windows Store-only" thing might actually be a huge benefit to convert as the hassle of having to only relay on Windows Store and not being able to utilise Chrome will be a huge setback for many.

But if it proves to me more lightweight (which I doubt it really is as the codebase is the same) and snappier overall that might actually make it viable in various situations. But if it proves to only be a locked down Windows 10 Pro with no other benefits other than reduced risk of crapware on the system it would be a no-go. In order to actually test this Microsoft needs to provide Windows 10S ISO-files so we can deploy it on VMWare and Hyper-V.

I'm tempted to test the Microsoft Surface Laptop, but the pricing is simply ridiculous. Especially if they keep going cheap on the internals by using older PM951 storage instead of the better and newer SM961, and still use the lowest end Realtek audio solutions giving huge noise on the headphone-jack and that god awful Marvell Avastar WiFi that is almost useless. The only one I find half-acceptable in terms of price is the entry level one, but 4GiB RAM for Windows 10? Really? Only way for that to be viable is for Windows 10S to somehow do great things with system requirements and memory footprint so I want to test it before I pre-order a Surface Laptop with only 4GiB RAM.

It's funny how Microsoft has started to overdue Apple in terms of premium pricing. Apple will at least provide you with 256GB of top-of-the-line PCI-Express NVMe storage instead of older generation, mainstream Samsung PM951 and they don't give you crappy Marvell Avastar WiFi, and they opt for higer quality Cirrius Logic audio and whatnot. Meanwhile Microsoft seems to demand the same premium, but are skimping on all the small details..

16. Jacoub

Jacoub MDL Member

Aug 14, 2011
    It is strange no ISO for Win 10S is available. Any suggestions kindly advise

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Win 10 S = Cloud

It's on UUP upgrade path:

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...date-final-15063-pc.73650/page-2#post-1328969

Code:
    ============================================================
          UUP directory contains multiple editions files:

1. Windows 10 Home (x86 / en-US)
    2. Windows 10 Home Single Language (x86 / en-US)
    3. Windows 10 Pro (x86 / en-US)
    4. Windows 10 Education (x86 / en-US)
    5. Windows 10 Enterprise (x86 / en-US)
    6. Windows 10 Cloud (x86 / en-US)
    7. Windows 10 Home N (x86 / en-US)
    8. Windows 10 Pro N (x86 / en-US)
    9. Windows 10 Enterprise N (x86 / en-US)
    10. Windows 10 Cloud N (x86 / en-US)

Enter edition number to create, or zero '0' to create AIO
    > Enter your option and press "Enter":

18. Ace2

Ace2 MDL Expert

Oct 10, 2014
    I have tested Windows 10 S, and everything is locked down, Command Prompt, PowerShell, will NOT run, No software will install unless its from microsoft store.
    Windows 10 S is CRAP.

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It's the new RT, meant for MSFT's Surface Devices.

20. Jacoub

Jacoub MDL Member

Aug 14, 2011
    deeply appreciated