Win 10 - Updated Opinions/Views

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Bakersfield, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Bakersfield

Bakersfield MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Something that has occurred to me, in response to one particular suggestion that we keep hearing: 'get used to telemetry, this is the way things will be from here on out'.

There have been a number of anti-trust and legal cases bought, which forced google/MS etc. to change what they are doing in some aspect/some regard.

Sticking with 8.1 & avoiding telemetry updates is a real solution for now - as still - there is a very real possibility that through the legislative process (or through a variety of courts), the right to 'automatic telemetry data gathering - presumed consent' might be curtailed/modified.

With all the discussion around privacy - things could realistically change somewhat - so 8.1 with telemetry blocked/avoided might be a way of holding out till 'the dust has settled'?

What are your thoughts on this perspective?

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    How about "Windows 10 is a better OS for me"? All things considered, for me, it is a much better OS than Windows 7. It's a waste of time to state why because for every reason I can come up with, someone will counter that. It's a personal choice and what is better for me may not be better for someone else. In reality, we now have only two computers running any version of Windows. The only reason for that is a quite expensive embroidery program my wife uses (Floriani) requires Windows. There is no viable alternative and the rather large investment means we keep at least her Desktop and portable running Windows. And 10 is better for our purposes.

With all that being said, we've just recently moved to iMacs running OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan: 21.5" for me; 27" for my wife. Now there is a better OS. But, as is usually the case, your mileage may vary.

3. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, I would like to talk a little on the subject of this topic.

Actualy I have 2 desktops and 2 notebooks waiting for the upgrade (well, fresh install but you get the idea) but they will stay there, waiting, untill a couple of weeks of the end of the free upgrade promotion. just to have the latest updated ISO to be installed on these computers.

The thing is: Windows 10 will, eventualy, replace all other Windowses (7, 8, 8.1) as they will loose support, so its not a matter of choice anymore. Its a matter of needs. We, as users, will need (have to) go for windows 10 ar stay outdated with previous oses. So, go for the upgrade or fresh install, as you wish. Or You can wait a little longer to go for it with the latest big update already released (the anniversary/redstone/santa clowns update thats comming in a few months).

I personaly prefer Linux (Linux Mint with Cinnamon these days) but just to get the job done. But sometimes I need/want to have some fun playing some games and things like that, so I need Windows. Well, if You have an outdated/legacy hardware, just ignore the "directX12" thing as You will not take advantage of it on Windows 10 (as me, with an amd apu a4-7300), so the question here is: When are you going to upgrade: now or later? Thats all, I guess...

Some tips for your windows 10 installation:

* install it in a personalized way so you can turn off everything possible regardless telemetry;
    * I choose to disable smart screen;
    * Install a light av (as cloud panda or cloud comodo);

And thats all...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bakersfield

Bakersfield MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2012
    'install it in a personalized way' - could you elaborate a little on this?

5. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Gutting Windows 10 seems like buying a new car and then tearing out the back seat because you only have 1 friend.

7. yro

yro MDL Addicted

Jul 26, 2009
    Guys, just to clarify.. If some wants to have the possibility of upgrading to 10 without paying for it but dont want to stay on it right now, just do the upgrade, generate the ticket, save it for later autentication and roll back to win7 or 8 untill you feel its time to go for 10. This way will be possible to upgrade for win 10 because your hardware will alrerady be ellegible for win 10 and the ticket to qualify and state this will be already backedup on your usb drive, cd, dvd, drive, etc. Than, when you do an fresh install, copy the elegible ticket verificator to the proper folder on your new 10 installation, reboot and thats it. win 10 activated for life...

Well, I will be upgrading for 10 these days (just before july) so people at home can get used to win 10 sooner... But, if anyproblem pops up than I already have the tickets for the elegibled hardwares of the 4 computers saved, so.. if needed, I just roll back to win 7 on these machines...

8. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
  9. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #69 GOD666, May 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    1yr of Windows 10 and it's STILL not stable. Even Windows Vista was stable after the 1st year (though before, it was insanely unstable).

Windows 10 is the only OS I've used at that eventually, it stops functioning correctly. Without installing anything new or removing anything, over time it just stops working. More to the point, apps & services or programs stop working.

Usually, it's timeout errors that will kill your computer. What eventually causes this is unknown. But one day sooner or later, you'll not even be able to open something as simple as CCleaner.

Code:
    The server {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Code:
    A timeout was reached (120000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Sync Host_267a6e0 service to connect.
    Code:
    The server {7006698D-2974-4091-A424-85DD0B909E23} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
    ^ Above is just a few things you'll slowly see in the event log. Just enough to know something isn't right, but not enough to pin it down. Only thing M$ support will tell you to do is to do a file scan or reinstall windows. 2nd option is best because the 1st option doesn't ever fix anything.

In short, Windows 10 is a time bomb. :eek:

10. zamica

zamica MDL Member

Oct 1, 2012
    #70 zamica, May 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Do these nuisances goes with LTSB editions as well??

11. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #71 GOD666, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    I've mostly used Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. It's been a while since I used LTSB. I do recall it to proving problematic.

12. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    I still cannot accept telemetry and modernized apps and settings.
    can't get used to these "improvements".
    I avoid Windows 10 in my daily tasks.