WIN 10 Upgrade vs WIN 10 Clean Install

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lobo11, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Trev19

Trev19 MDL Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Syncs with your phone too.

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Spoken like a true enthusiast :cool:

Unfortunately most of the people coming here now, don't won't to learn, they just want it to work. :(

3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. potjevleesch

potjevleesch MDL Addicted

Aug 7, 2010
    I've been told that using an MSDN serial on the TP would activate and allow a clean install afterwards ?

5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #25 lobo11, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    (OP)
    Activate what:D

You are taking big chance if you don't upgrade first, then clean install:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MinaJunior

MinaJunior MDL Junior Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Now I have Windows 8.1 activated with key via DreamSpark.

The question is - to upgrade now to the latest preview version, or it's better to wait 29 July, upgrade first and then do a clean install?

I'm writing this because I can't wait for 29 July :D, so I need your opinion on this.

7. Taliseian

Taliseian MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2013
    #27 Taliseian, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    I've had several friends ask me about going from W7 to W10, and I've told them all to do the upgrade in a couple of weeks so the first round of post-release patches are out, but prepare to do a clean install shortly after.

Do the upgrade to make sure your license transfers and register their MSA, then backup and do a clean install because while an upgrade will work, there are always settings that don't cleanly transfer and other cruft left behind -- like a 4gb or so unneeded hidden directory as well as a Windows.old.

While you can use DISM to clean and restore, when doing a massive OS upgrade, the clean approach ends up with a system that runs better and easier to troubleshoot because there are no leftovers from a previous install that may or may not be part of the problem.

Just common sense if you ask me...

T

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    You can do upgrade first, then clean install, but you can get ISO here at MDL any day now:D

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  10. MinaJunior

Aug 15, 2010
    Even if I upgrade on preview now? That will be cool. By the way I already have downloaded the official Windows 10 Build 10162 ISO and burned to a dvd :D

11. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    for what i have notice upgrade vs clean install is 50- 50 thing some upgrade go excellent with out any issues other go horrible and your force to do a clean install.

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    You will have to burn RTM, upgrade that, make sure it's activated, then do clean install:D

13. Rockfella

Rockfella MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2009
    Clean install! Always!!!! FTW!!

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Spoken like a person who like to manage his computers and dont want to be managed by them. And knowledge is the best way to do it.

Sure, iPhones (and alike) ruined the younger generations. Most of them are button pusher, or little more...

15. MinaJunior

Aug 15, 2010
    Well then, I'll wait till 29 July, thanks :rolleyes:

16. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Like I said, we here at MDL will have RTM way before Jul 29th, any day now :D

17. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Good point! Theoretically, there should be no difference between Win10 builds progressively installed through upgrading, one on top of the other. And of course, that's because upgrading should just "work" properly otherwise there'd be no sense in Microsoft ever telling anyone to "upgrade" or offering the function, and doubly because these are all builds of the same OS--Win10 on Win10 (instead of Win10 on top of Win7/8)...;) But there is a big difference, as I discovered yesterday. I can only conclude that the internal "flight" upgrades between Previews are very bugged as a process, and if Microsoft had not made 10162 available as an iso I wouldn't have known just how bugged my upgrades were and would have chalked all of the differences I see between 10162 upgraded from 10159, and 10162 clean installed from the iso, as bugs still present in the build!

For instance, in my upgraded installation, the AMD CCC problem resurrected and I could not keep the CCC up--it always crashed shortly after boot and would not come back, no matter what I did to try and correct the problem. I thought it was either a 10162 bug or else a bug in the AMD driver. It was neither. That problem completely disappeared in the clean-installed build! The only thing I can conclude from this is that, again, the Preview "flight" (internal) upgrades have probably *never* worked right/well from the start, which means Microsoft may have been chasing its tail to some extent because of bug reports about problems caused by the upgrade process itself. That's reason enough to discontinue the internal upgrade process moving past RTM and simply release everything in iso format. I'm seeing features here and there that I did not see in the upgrade 10162, and everything runs much faster/better than it did after the internal upgrade to 10162--even after I've installed the same programs and the registry sizes are essentially the same.

In the past in both Win7 & Win8, I never could notice any difference between upgraded installations & clean-installed ones, except of course for the fact that right after a clean install the registry is very small and the OS seems snappier because of that--but when I'd reinstall my programs I found things to be just as they were after the upgrade. I never saw these kinds of bugs after an upgrade install! But I was upgrading through iso images, only, unlike the internal Insider Preview upgrades. I hope that moving forward Microsoft goes exclusively to iso format and drops these internal upgrades completely. I sent Microsoft some feedback abut this and I'm certain I'm not alone...;)

18. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    not with all the takedown requests we won't :confused:

19. Trev19

Trev19 MDL Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I have ZERO issues upgrading from Windows 8.1 Update 1 with all patches to Build 1030 then to build 10162,, i just had to reinstall a couple programs. :)

20. Trev19

Trev19 MDL Member

Feb 1, 2011
    @WaltC use DDU to clean the amd drivers and re-install. Works like a charm. =)