Win 10061 - No start menu, search, settings or notifications

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by bobmanuk, Apr 23, 2015.

1. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    Good Afternoon all,

My laptop updated while i was away from my desk this morning and as usual, it came back up, configured and all seemed to be working ok.

except after a couple hours use it started misbehaving.

I cannot open the start menu, but i can right click, windows button works (can create new virtual windows and switch) i cannot open search from the taskbar. clicking on notifications does nothing. I have settings pinned to the taskbar but it wont open.

I can right click on start and choose search, but it finds nothing.

Im not expecting much in the way of help to fix. but if someone can tell me how to open the feedback application without using the start menu so i can report it to microsoft i would be very grateful. Thanks

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Try opening CMD as Admin and type:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and afterwards

sfc /scannow

3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #3 Hadron-Curious, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Run PowerShell(Admin), copy and paste the command below into it and press ENTER key.
    Code:
    Get-AppxPackage | % { Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppxManifest.xml" -verbose }

4. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks for the help,

I ran the powershell line first and then the dism command second, then sfc. all ran ok and sfc found a corrupt file, then fixed it

i now have access to everything, with a weired little bug, the min, max and close buttons dont work... i can maximise by using win key and up.. at least i can access windows feedback.

scratch that, it DID work... now i cant access settings again.

5. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    shows again what a piece of s**t the new startmenu/cortana bastard and new ui in general is

6. Shadykillas

Shadykillas MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #6 Shadykillas, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    It's probably more of how buggy the upgrade between builds are I clean installed to 9926 then did the upgrade to 10061 (all my upgrades fro 10041 where buggy as hell) and I have found it to be much more stable.

7. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    i like it and when we get the finished product im sure it will be a vast improvement on windows 8, which with this laptop its windows 8 or windows 10, windows 7 isnt supported by acer and the drivers for windows 8 just dont work on 7.

Im not complaining, this is exactly what i signed up for, i encounter problems, i learn how to fix them, then when the final product is released, if there are any problems i know where to start.

i did have the unofficial build 10056 i think it was, then it upgraded to 61, if i can find a way to reliably backup and transfer files for outlook 2010 i would do a clean install, there is nothing else on my laptop i would be upset to loose.