Win 7 64 bit ram usage problem!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bala_digital, Dec 8, 2009.

1. bala_digital

bala_digital MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi friends im using win 7 64 bit (oem) for the past few months, i never had this problem, but this problem annoys me. Im havin 4gb of ram. Whenever the system reboots the ram usage is normal but after that it is gradually incresaing and within an hour or so it reaches 3 to 3.5 gb of ram utilization leaving me with only 500 mb of ram to use!!. I used windows resource monitor to find the culprit process but unfortunately the resource monitor shows all the process but nothing mentioned with ram usage of more than a gb. I still cant get where the memory is leaking?

Anyone having the same problem or can come up with a solution??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. firefox1337

firefox1337 MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    some type of software you are running could have a severe memory leak causing it to use ridiculous amounts of ram check out task manager and see what program is using up all the memory

3. bala_digital

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. firefox1337

firefox1337 MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    can you take a screen shot of your task manager

Hit ctr+alt+delete start task manager

hit the process tab then hit the memory tab within the processes tab to show
    the processes that are using most memory to the ones using the least.( biggest numbre at the top)

take a screen shot of that ( forgot to add press show processes from all users at the bottom)

5. bala_digital

Jul 31, 2009
  6. bala_digital

Jul 31, 2009
    Im an advanced pc user, but still cant figure out this bug!

7. firefox1337

firefox1337 MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    You got me stumped ... Mabie someone more knowledgeable can help you sorry i tried :D

8. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    88 processes = 3.5 gb of ram !!! Superfetch is caching most of those apps you have running.

it's quite normal usage for 88 processes running. That's a lot of apps running at the same time Wow!

9. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I can't understand some of those memoery usage figures...

It looks as though you have every programme open to be honest. Take a look at those commit charges (and also the working set values for each, which is naturally less but still excessively high):

ADTV 330MB
    NokiaOviSuite 116MB
    NokiaMServer 52MB
    NVMonitor 103MB

lesser extent:
    PCSuite 17MB
    ADTV2 14MB
    IAStorDataMgrSvc 18MB
    IAStorIcon 23MB
    SearchIndexer 40MB

I mean, even for the working set the Nokia stuff takes over 100MB altogether (including pcsuite in that). The IAstor stuff is fair enough if you have a drive that has the Rapid memory type features, but I haven't actually seen too many of them in practice.

10. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I was going to mention superfetch, then I saw the 'Physical memory: 85%' at the bottom of the taskmgr screenie. The 'physical memory' shows application/data use, not the superfetch use. Even if superfetch uses all available ram, the physical memory use would only show the programme contribution.

Those memory use figures can't be right though, it looks like he has everything open?...

11. bala_digital

Jul 31, 2009
    for the past 1 or 2 years im having these same set of process :(. But now its buggin me lot

12. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    All open programs from the 88 processes use additional ram to run which is not shown in Windows Task manager. Because they are still in use Windows will not offload some ram to the pagefile.

Sysinternals process explorer would be more accurate to find the commit and actual ram usage for these processes.

13. bala_digital

Jul 31, 2009
    My currently opened tasks are my tv software, firefox, nvidia monitor. All others are bg process only

14. bala_digital

Jul 31, 2009
  15. bala_digital

Jul 31, 2009
    #16 bala_digital, Dec 8, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
    (OP)
  16. bala_digital

Jul 31, 2009
    #17 bala_digital, Dec 8, 2009
    (OP)
  17. psyko12

psyko12 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    #18 psyko12, Dec 8, 2009
    Wow! Thats some usage.... Something is eating up your RAM plus you got a lot of background services running....

I run my PC 24/7 and I don't get above 70% on ram usage except when playing games.... Usually FFox, Yahoo messenger plus Nod32, speed fan in the background eats only 29-38% for me... Could be a virus or some software at a fault.

Edit: From looking at the screenies, check out the usage for those NOKIA softwares, they're on the 100s.... Could be them that's causing that high of a usage..... But IDK just a wild guess

18. bala_digital

Jul 31, 2009
    any solutions or idea for this annoying problem?

19. gbear

gbear MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    did you open any flash movie in firefox? my experience telling me that flash mem usage could be a lot and not reported together as firefox (or any internet browser) in task manager