win 7 build 7000 hangs

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by thevibe, Jan 6, 2009.

1. thevibe

thevibe MDL Junior Member

Dec 17, 2008
    my explorer's been acting very crazy lately. i open windows explorer, try to browse a few folders, then it just starts searching for files in those folders with the green progress bar moving slowly even if the folders are on the same physical drive. finally it will show the contents like after 5 minutes. then if i wanna browse a network folder it just hangs. first few times, it was fine after i restart. now restarts do no good as well. anyone with the same issue?

2. Drakie

Drakie MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2008
    So it just randomly searches for files, as if you had typed a search?...if so make sure you have not got a key stuck in your keyboard, or that drivers and everything are correct, as for the network drives, i have heard a few people complain that network drives and ftp etc.. sometimes can be sluggish and just decide not to work, remember it is beta.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. thevibe

Dec 17, 2008
    **resolved**

figured out the problem. it was the network drive mapped to a shared folder in my desktop which is running build 6801. since that drive was mapped, everytime i opened windows explorer on the laptop, it was trying to connect to the desktop and using up all the resources in doing so. i restarted the desktop and everything is back to normal.

4. Drakie

Drakie MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2008
    Isn't is nice when a problem gets worked out :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    I know this hasn't anything to do with what u guys are talking about but I have a question. I installed Windows 7 build 7000 but I install it on an old hard drive, QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30 is a pretty old hard drive I think it came out of a Windows 200, and I guess my question is can the hard drive slow down the system as an performance may be?

PS IE8 works pretty weird on Windows 7 thats why use Mozilla! :)

6. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Wow....u still have one of those hard drive :p Is it even big enough to install Win7? I've got one too....at a mere 2.1GB. God knows how i managed during those days :D

Anyway, I've had exprience where i connect a much older drive to a system and it does actually slow down the overall performance. I guess it has to do with the seek time and all that stuff.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

7. Big Dave

Big Dave MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2008
    Yeah I know but this HD is actually pretty big is a 30 GB and it sounds like is breaking:D, but I guess it does slow down the performance. Thanks alot.

8. Drakie

Drakie MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2008
    Hard drives do slow down performance, there read and write times are affected by the speed at which the hard disk spins, however given that your hard drive should be spinning at 7200rpm, there shouldnt be that much of a performance loss. All things considered this is still a very common HDD speed, however given that it is so old, it is probably on its last legs now, consider upgrading. :)

9. thevibe

Dec 17, 2008
    now that we've decided to talk about hard-disks here, i think my laptop hdd is kinda getting screwed. i havent been noticing much of performance deterioration, but what i've been noticing is a decline in my system rating (windows experience index). earlier, my hdd had a rating of 4.5 or something.. then sometime last month, i noticed it had dropped down to 3.0 and now its 2.0. does this mean i have to buy a new laptop hdd?

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @thevibe,
    As your using a laptop, you may want to check with stepping (speed) your CPU is really running at, at the times your running the 'Windows Experience Index'. :cool:

@Drakie,
    There are plenty of 5400rpm (High Capacity) drives that are alot quicker than 7200 or 10K rpm drives. Its down to the way they access the data on the drive not the spindle speeds. ;)

@Big Dave,
    While the Hard Drive will make a difference in access speeds, its not going to be something you'll really notice. We're talking factions of a second here.
    The main reason being 90% of the work your PC is doing will be done in RAM, so slow or little RAM will make a bigger difference. :)

11. thevibe

Dec 17, 2008
    and how do i do that? :confused:

12. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @thevibe,
    There are dozens of monitoring utils out there that will read the CPU stepping speeds for you.
    For a 'quick and dirty' fix, search for a Vista Gadget called "CPU Utilization" that will display the stepping speed under the graph.

It works in Windows7 but only as a small gadget, it gets very confused when you try to enlarge it. :D

13. thevibe

Dec 17, 2008
    how about using the cpu usage graph under the performance tab in task manager?

14. thevibe

Dec 17, 2008
    @ZaForD
    i've taken a screenshot of the cpu performance graph under task manager while calculating [reassessing] windows experience index. the last part of the graph where there's a dip in the cpu usage is while the hard-disk was being assessed. so, does this help figure whats happening to my hard-disk ?

Attached Files:

15. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @thevibe,
    Task manager shows CPU 'Usage' how its being used, not 'Utilization' what way its being used.

I have a 1.2Ghz Netbook which claims to be running at 100% 'Useage' most of the day. But thats 100% at 800Mhz, it very rearly steps up to 1.2Ghz.
    So its only really 'Utilizing' 66% of the CPU.

I hope that makes sence. :)

16. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    That being said, how do you make the processor run at full step...in my case my netbook of Atom 1.6Ghz. It's running pretty smooth with Windows 7 :D

17. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @Scann69,
    Making it run at full speed is easy in both Vista and Windows 7:
    Under 'Power Options' select 'High Performance' it should keep your CPU running at it top speed.

You can tell if its working on any Laptop/Netbook by watching your Battery Meter drop by the second. :D

18. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Yah...i've set that when on Power but on Batt, it's be running half the speed only :) Thanx for the heads up.

I've been running windows 7 on my Lenovo S10 Netbook for 3 weeks now and i must say, it's faster then running Windows Vista.

19. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009

Attached Files: