Win 7 Home Basic vs. XP Pro on 256 MB RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Servi, Aug 21, 2009.

1. freibooter

freibooter MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2007
    He actually answered the question quite well after the op did not believe me regarding Windows 7's RAM usage (which is much, much higher than XP's).

A stripped down to the bone and easily broken version of Windows 7 with just about everything that makes it interesting removed still uses the majority of RAM available on the laptop in question, leaving barely anything for the applications themselves.

An unmodified version of Windows 7 probably won't even successfully install and would not be usable if one managed to do so ...

2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Completely irrevelant, but I can just imagine a Mac user saying Windows 7 is crap because it would run poorly on that old laptop... comparing it to the latest grossly overpriced MAC of course.

Basically, Windows 7 is better on a newer computer, but for the most part will provide no benefit for you over XP on the old computer (since even new hardware technologies isn't an issue). The same applies for any older computer and I'd go as far as to say even any P IV. A Core 2 or Athlon 64 (even the old ones) with at least 2gb of ram would be what I'd suggest. RAM is cheap, it would be much more beneficial going from 1gb or less to 2gb or more than changing Windows 7! Also if your graphics is old or slow the Windows 7 interface isn't going to like it...