win 7 rc and win 7 rtm..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AzN_devil, Aug 9, 2009.

1. AzN_devil

AzN_devil MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    is it just me or are there actually more bugs in the win 7 rtm version compared to the rc version

eg. rtm locks folders/files longer than the rc version and randomly saying you dont have the permission to delete it

or... vmware server 1.9 doesnt work on rtm when it works on rc

and so on :confused:

2. quaren

quaren MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    Not just you, it is like they collected bugs in the build up to RTM as opposed to a feature lockdown to work out the bugs.

The most glaring for me is the whole autohide taskbar desktop stanby lag. Not a huge bug, but since it was known you would think they would fix for the final release.... no such luck, RTM still has it.

Does anyone know if Microsoft officially knows about this bug?... I am just very curious and perplexed about the whole process and so yesterday I set about some tests.

Installed build 7057 clean on my rig, upon first boot I let the monitor go into standby multiple times with autohide on. Never lagged coming out of standby.
    Installed build 7600 clean, no difference in hardware, drivers, BIOS, or any settings. first boot of the fresh install, the same thing, monitor to standby multiple times with autohide on. After the first stand by, every single time when the monitor was awoken it would lag the desktop proportionally to the amount of time it was in standby.

Updated drivers/BIOS, different settings for power options (both in BIOS and in windows) change nothing. Other than not autohiding or setting the monitor to standby is to turn off Desktop Composition ( ie. Aero ), alll other appearance settings are moot. So is different settings for the taskbar, ie. small icons, no combine, other toolbars... as long as autohide is on it happens and finally with modded UXTheme files it STILL happens...

I am hoping that with the final released officially now, these bugs will be addressed.

3. AzN_devil

AzN_devil MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    #3 AzN_devil, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
    (OP)
    well in your case...you can disable monitor standby and turn off your monitor manually when you walk away lol...or dont use taskbar autohide?

lets just hope and m$ will fix the bugs eventually...

and...win 7 x64 is horrible without 32 bit explorer...bascially everything that works in win 7 x86 is at least partially busted in win 7 x64...uninstalled it and went back to x86 with mem patch (i got 8gb of ram for vm testing)..and oh...even flash doesnt work in x64..i know about the third party plugins but..still

im really considering vista x64 with sp2...i havent had vista on my machine at all but i hope the compatibility with old apps is better since its a few years old and theres still the 32 bit explorer in the x64 version

4. quaren

quaren MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    Well, other than the taskbar bug I have had less promblems with Win 7 64 bit than I have had with Vista both 32 and 64 bits. Still, I know that Win 7 isn't really out so it is unfair to be too judgmental about it.... but since this is RTM and now it is officially released we know that it is going to be shipping out on launch with these bugs that were there before hand and they had known about them.....

Over at Technet from what I have gathered it seems to be a bug between the newer builds of the OS and gfx drivers....

soo recaping
    7057 + Catalyst 9.3 = Working
    7057 + Catalyst 9.7 = Working
    7600 + Catalyst 9.3 = Not
    7600 + Catalyst 9.7 = Not

Now I am wondering if the resolution to the problem is going to be a fix for windows or if we are going to have to wait for new drivers.

5. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    I'll bet anything it will have to be a driver update.Just wait till it goes live then we'll see what bug fixes M$ has decided to send via WU.:rolleyes:

6. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    I also used RC but I can't confirm that Win7 RTM has more "bugs" than Win7 RC. May you talk about compatibility problems but Win7 is a new OS so...

7. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #7 Michel, Aug 9, 2009
    I dont get it, RC1 , build 7127 and build 7264 (32-bit) are working faster with my old laptop then the RTM retail release. Also in the RC builds i never had problems with explore.exe but in RTM i get everytime lockup problems and gives a error there is a problem with explore.exe :(. I dont have this with my pc that runs 64 bit RTM. I reinstalled my laptop and the problem remains :mad:

Edit: Started up in save mode everything works fine, i think i have a driver conflict.

8. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    #8 EclipseSin, Aug 9, 2009
    Maybe I'm just lucky but, I've not had any of the problems I've seen throughout the net. Including these listed here. I am however on mostly older hardware. Graphic Card is only thing up to date. I have no problems with auto-hide, lag, permissions, deleteing or any of that... Not even the desktop refresh bug some people still seem to be having, or explorer crashes (unless I close it, but thats not a crash lol).

Since I reinstalled RTM about 3 days ago after messing with different crap like lo*ders, tokens, pkeyconfig, services, codec removal (gah ms. remove these s**tty filters/codecs. Use FFdshow you crusty bastards) I've not hit one snag, bite, or fatal problem. Still running as fast as it's been too, even on my laptop this is all the same. (Inspiron 1525) Laptop has had it installed since the night of July 13th.

Are you guys using old hardware, or newer hardware? May give some insight?

Edit: Oh, x86 by the way. Have no need for x64... Yet.

9. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #9 Michel, Aug 9, 2009
    Ok all of my problems are gone now, i did system recovery to the point i installed windows 7. I hit auto updates (again) installed all updates and drivers and i still dont have problems now. I think avira created the problem on my laptop. I will report back if i get it again with avira.

Laptop: Packard Bell W8934 (acer)
    Processor: T2400
    Video Card: Mobile Radeon X1600 (updated via windows update)
    Memory: 2GB DDR2 667mhz
    Hard Disk: 100GB 5400rpm

Only driver i need to install now is my soundcard (Realtek), windows 7 installed one but i dont hear sounds. (This also happend with the RC builds)

Edit: I installed the Realtek driver and avira on my laptop, for some reason it works great now. Dont have the explore.exe error and freezup problems anymore :D :D :D :D

10. AzN_devil

AzN_devil MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    im on 2 year old hardware...except for mobo and ram...i had a asus p5k that died..but then i only turned it off for 3 hours over 2 years so...it was worth it
    i should be on x64 but the compatibility is too crappy so im on x86 with the 4GB memory patch...so far so good...

intel q6600 @3.0ghz
    4*2gb corsair ddr800 ram
    asus p5q turbo mobo
    xfx 8800 gts 320mb display
    2*160gb seagate sata hdd
    300gb seagate sata hdd
    320 wd sata hdd

and assorted crap...

11. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    In my case, the Beta seemed to run faster than the RC and RTM. When starting Windows, it displays 'Please wait' (the message before 'Welcome') for about 10-15 seconds, this was never the case in the Beta...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I noticed this to today, after i installed a fresh copy on my laptop (32-bit). My pc however runs the rtm (64-bit) for 2-3 weeks now and it does not have the please wait message before the welcome screen. Dont know if anyone has the message on 64 bit though.

13. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I didn't even know that screen existed. o.o