Win 7 Repair Install Fails

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bluecatfish, Jan 29, 2010.

1. bluecatfish

bluecatfish MDL Junior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Cannot install updates. Turn on Windows Additions box is empty. Windows 7 Ultimate x86 activated with Gigabyte SLIC 2.1 BIOS mod, Gigabyte certificate and HP OEM key. Have did chkdsk /f several times. Have tried to run sfc /scannow several times from administrator cmd. Each time it fails with error "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation." When sfc is run from the setup dvd repair cmd prompt error message is "there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. restart windows and run sfc again."

Have tried numerous repair install attempts and always get to expanding files and then "The upgrade was canceled. Setup cannot continue. Restart the computer and restart setup. When prompted, try getting the latest updates," which I do each time. I have tried to install from USB and 3 different 32 bit DVD. What should I try next? All help appreciated.

System:
    Gigabyte P31-S3G with modded f7d BIOS
    Intel Core2Duo E6400 CPU
    4 GB Corsair DDR2 (PC2-6400) RAM
    WDC WD5000 sata HDD
    NIVIDIA GEForce8600 GT 256MB with Win 7 driver
    LG HL-DT-ST RW/DVD ROM Drive
    16X8 DVD DOM ATA ROM Drive

2. killer47

killer47 MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2010
    is it win 7 is original license or activated through crack?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bluecatfish

Apr 8, 2009
    it is activated with ultimate rtm iso, gigabyte slic 2.1 bios mod by me, and certificate and hp oem key posted here in the forum. activation is not my problem. there seems to be files and registry keys missing or corrupted. my question is how can I do a repair install rather than a clean install.

4. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    run SFC /scannow from within the cmd prompt window without the dvd

5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Are you using the same disk you originally installed with to repair? Maybe its a bad burn?

6. bluecatfish

Apr 8, 2009
    I have ran sfc every way it can be ran, always as administrator, with and without the dvd. i have tried the repair install with the dvd i orginally installed with in August and with 3 other dvd's, also with a usb stick. nothing works.

7. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. bluecatfish

Apr 8, 2009
    I ran the WD diagnostics on the hdd with no errors. I don't have an external dvd drive, but I do have 2 internal dvd drives in my computer and I have used both to try the repair install with same result. The iso that I made the original install with was downloaded from The Official Windows 7 Respository, hashes verified. I have also tried the repair install with 2 retail windows 7 disk I have, same result. The usb install was made from one of the retail disks.
    I have also downloded all the windows 7 updates fom Microsoft updates and when I try to install them they go through the extracting process and the the error message "the update is not applicable to your computer."
    I am about ready to bite the bullet and take backranger advice to backup and reinstall.

9. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    i would also reflash bios back to stock setup.

10. bluecatfish

Apr 8, 2009
    Thanks for all the suggestions, but I have did a clean install and in the process of getting everything set again.