Win 7 SP1 Beta

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Motoguru, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Motoguru

Motoguru MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2010
    #1 Motoguru, Oct 11, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    Just downloaded the beta of win7 sp1.
    Its 1.22 GB and you have to have windows 7 or Server 2008 SP2 on your machine to install. I didnt have to give any info or answer any questions, Microsoft just let me download it!

I am more interested in what is changing in the upcoming release of SP1, alleged to be released in June 2011.

Here it is:
    microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/sp1.aspx

Had to leave some of the address out cause the system wont let me post links yet.

expires on 6-30-11

Have Phun...

2. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Be careful with the naming of Windows Server 2008, as what you are referring to is Windows 2008 R2 and not SP2 :) Windows 2008 R2 is the server version of Windows 7, and Windows 2008 is the server version of Vista :)

The reason why you can freely download the beta from Microsoft is because its not provided for you to be a guinea pig with the teasting, its provided on the Server website so you can see if it works in your work environment, and that specially tailored software works correctly. If problems are found with sp1 and not RTM, then they can be reported back to Microsoft. If no such problems exist, or they are workaroundable, it means system administrators can prepare to update their workspace with the knowledge they won't f*** anything up :). Its released so early to give them time to fully evaluate it for their needs.

The main problem with any Microsoft provided beta is they're rarely the latest, they've already gone through some testing and a known list of bugs is provided to make aware of any potential issues during testing. The downside to this methodology is you're really installing a build thats already old, considering the time for the aforementioned internal testing. You should only install it because you're an enthusiast (you shouldn't just do it for the sake of doing it), you're aware of potential risks, you're aware that updates made available post build of the service pack are most likely not available for that build (although some critical security updates and possibly other updates may be released if relevant), and that any data loss or instability as a result of installing the beta means you're culperable, and that its not the fault of Microsoft. Part of the beta-testing licence agreement is that as an unfinished product by installing it you are aware of the risks and any loss of data, useability, time, or other system anomalies that may occur as a result of the installation.

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I really did install SP1 beta in the initial rush (July 2010) but have long ago uninstalled it (through imaging). I simply did not find it worthwhile for the main, physical PC. The updates till date perhaps add up to 150-200 MB, and when that SP1 beta came out, it was perhaps less than 125-150 MB. On a VM, it may be worthwhile, but SP1 beta takes some few mins to install (close to 20-30 mins) and that is perhaps only somewhat less than downloading/installing regular updates. That was the main benefit seen by me, and even with SP1 beta, that is really not much of a benefit.

So right now, I have no SP1 beta installed on either physical or VMs.

As to iso for SP1 beta, there is an exe file also which is perhaps 500 MB for 64 bit.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Elite2k

Elite2k MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    wow didnt know they had a sp1 in the works.. i have installed win 7 on 50 pcs and had like very minor issues mostly drivers for older pcs .. but kudos to MS finally competing with stupid apple properly kick there butts