Win 7 VHD file support for Win XP possible?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by 5aLIVE, Nov 23, 2014.

1. 5aLIVE

5aLIVE MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2012
    Hi,
    can anyone tell me how to create and or mount a VHD that can be detected properly by Rufus and the Disk Management Snap-in running on an XP system as shown in this tutorial guide for Win 7 please?

In essence, I am looking to replicate the vhd support features of Windows 7 on Windows XP.

I normally use the wonderful ImDisk for all tasks such as this but in this instance I cannot get it to produce a VHD file that can be detected by Rufus (List USB Hard Drives enabled). I've tried other tools such as VirtualBox and Virtual Server among others without success.

I noticed that ImDisk mounts a NTFS VHD file created in Win 7 as RAW in Win XP.

Is there anyway to resolve these issues at all?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Wait, what do you want to do with a VHD & Rufus?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 5aLIVE

5aLIVE MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2012
    Yep, that's right. The Disk Management Snap-in tool can't detect the mounted vhd file either.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Actually it can :D

But it doesn't provide you VHD specific features as 'Detach VHD' (expected).