win 7 wont boot after installing daz unless bootable usb drive is present

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by glowskull0, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glowskull0

glowskull0 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    Installed win7, everything was good until i installed DAZ (2.1.9). I restarted the computer, and got a boot menu with only two options: SATA HDD and SATA CD. Picking either option makes the screen go blank for a second and go straight back to the same menu.

If a bootable USB flash drive is plugged in, the computer will ask to press any key to boot to usb (if i press a key, the usb will boot correctly), if i dont press anything, windows starts as normal.

I've tried the various bootsect options and doing fixmbr and other things. Startup repair does not work, as i get a message saying it couldnt save startup options, or that 'startup repair cannot fix problems automatically'.

i also tried uninstalling the bootloader and it still does not work. PLEASE help.

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If it were the loader when you uninstall it everything should be back to normal since the loader doesn't touch the MBR or anything hardware related.

Have you tried uninstalling the loader, resetting your BIOS settings to defaults and then removing all power from your PC? When you then power up you'll be doing a full cold boot.

As for recovery commands, remove your USB and then from your Windows 7 DVD enter:
    Code:
    bootsect.exe /nt60 ALL /force
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    chkdsk c: /f

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. glowskull0

glowskull0 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    DAZ, i really appreciate you replying to my post.

I actually have tried every step that you suggested except resetting bios. I tried that and now when i try to boot i get a blinking cursor in the upper left hand cursor and nothing happens.

4. glowskull0

glowskull0 MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2013
    also, now startup repair says missing OS loader

5. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #5 Daz, Jan 31, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. passeuli

passeuli MDL Novice

May 13, 2014
    #6 passeuli, May 13, 2014
    Not validated after loader

I was having the same problem with a blinking cursor after installing Daz. I tried your suggestions in this post and windows loaded, but was not activated (even though the loader said everything went correctly). I was using version 2.2.1 on Windows 7 (ultimate and home premium) Any ideas?

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009