Win 7 won't install updates

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ex2peria10, Aug 19, 2015.

1. ex2peria10

ex2peria10 MDL Novice

May 18, 2015
    Hi guys,
    Since beginning of august, i can t install the windows 7 updates. The green line is moving "checking for updates" for hours but with no result. I ve tried to reset the windows updates, restart the win services but with no result. Can someone help me with this issue?

Thanks!

2. frepsz

frepsz MDL Junior Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Don't f... up your system running all kinds of "fixes", just a quick googling shows that everyone with a clean install has this issue, it's a server side problem. They probably moved most resources to serve the windows 10 upgrades.

Don't touch your system, just let it run and keep checking. At some point it will succeed. It'll take hours, so letting it do it overnight might be a good idea.

3. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    The OP did not say anything about a clean install so what make you think that a clean install was performed??

@ex2peria10 I had the same problem last week and ran all the fix's I could find along with installing windows update agent again. Nothing worked. I had to go back to an image that I created last year and reinstalled the updates I have downloaded and saved in my back up. I really don't know what the problem was but I am up and running smooth again.
    The only thing I can see is that I had started having problems after I installed Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 (KB3065822) dated July 14 2015. It came with 2 extra updates and must be installed in the correct order or things will get screwed up. Trust me I tried installing them in the wrong order just to see and sure enough I could not get onto windows update and could not install anymore updates that I already had downloaded??
    First.......KB3065822
    Second.......KB3074886
    Third........KB3075516

Like I say I am not 100% positive that this is what screwed me up, but if you have an image or restore point you could go back to I would try that.

4. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Strange, I've reinstalled Windows 7 on my test rig last week and had no problem updating. Then I installed Windows 7 twice in a VM in the past few days and still had no problem updating. Sometimes WU does take a very long time to scan and find the updates that you need.

I would also recommend the simplix updater like nash58 did. If you are doing a fresh install or not, the simplix pack can update a live system as well as a image file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @ex2peria10: have you shut off any services to optimize your system? There are a few key services that need to be running for Windows to update.

I'm just asking this for completeness. Chances are, it's either what oldsh_t said, or just a busy server, like Atari800XL said.

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    #8 windows.seven, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    I am having this issue on all 4 Win7 computers on my network today. Hope it's a server problem and will get resolved on it's own.
    Edit : Just tried on my 64-bit laptop and the update is working fine. But on the 32-bit ones either I am getting stuck on "Checking for updates" or "Downloading updates". Hopefully it's temporary

7. sapito

sapito MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2013
    Please, help me. I installed W7 Ultimate with Daz Loader but Windows update doesn't let me make a first time Check Updates because it continues searching without end. Servers overloaded? I dont think so.. :(

8. wahoospa

wahoospa MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2012
    Seen this before, you need to 'manually' update Microsoft Security Essentials definitions and then do a scan and then the updates should start.

9. sapito

sapito MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2013
    I tries but it doesnt work :(

10. nash58

nash58 MDL Member

Feb 8, 2010
  11. JohnSG

JohnSG MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2014
    I removed windows 10 and went back to w7daz clean install on my notebook. It just keeps scanning for updates. I also tried Wahoospa suggestion, same issue. I think its MS server issue cause bing website on this desktop is having issues searching online. I just tried searching for "my digital life forum" and bing website said nothing found. I agree with frepsz response for now.

12. dontnowhy

dontnowhy MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2010
    #14 dontnowhy, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    My experience is :
    Installed the fresh copy of Windows 7 pro SP1 and the the Windows Update stuck on Checking of Updates!
    Then I made another choice of installation of Windows 7 pro and this time it ran the Windows Update automatically right after the installation.
    As the Windows Update went on, I found the Windows Update stuck on Checking of Updates again after the SP1 installed.

On the other hand, you'll find the c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb file became bigger & bigger during the Stuck!

13. ricksy50

ricksy50 MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2009
    You will also find the cpu is being hammered at 100% with high memory usage, the windows update agent is the cause, I have tried all the fixes and patches online but still nothing changes, wu starts and within a couple of minutes system is crawling with 100% cpu. this happened before on previous versions but as yet I cannot find a fix.

14. dontnowhy

dontnowhy MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2010
    I just wonder if this is only against those device which have been upgraded to Windows 10 before!
    In other word, forcing you to use the Windows 10!