Win 8.1 OEM on Asus doesn't allow multiboot.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by James Titan, Sep 22, 2015.

1. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013
    new Asus Lap GPT partitions seems opposite to other systems beside the one installed.What if converting to MBR?
    Is there any risk and evebtually loose manu's guarantee?

2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    I would not convert to MBR unless you can switch reliably back to GPT. I would ask on the Asus forum. It may be something easy to do, like turning off secure boot. Which OS do you want to add? Again, try other forums, search Google and don't do anything you can't revert back to.

3. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013

everything tried no effect, it's a bios matter. Want to add win 7.Was in various forums around , same problem with no solution.
    nevertheless thanks.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @James Titan

It would be better if you
    1. Mention the exact model of the laptop.
    2. Describe the errors.

To install Windows 7, you need to turn off Secure Boot. Some AMI Aptio firmwares on Asus laptops don't let you turn it off unless you enable CSM.

5. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013
    hello Tito,

here what i did: "Fast Boot" and "Secure Boot" diasbled."CSM" enabled."Launch PXE OpROM policy" enabled: controls the execution of UEFI and Legacy PXE OpROM.USB or CD/DVD in first boot.

When installing WIN 7 from USB get a message:"A required CD/DVD device driver is missing.If you have a driver floppy disc,CD DVD, or USB flash drive,plse insert it now.Note: if the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive , you can safely remove it for this step."

Same when installing from CD/DVD.

When installing WIN 8.1 Pro from USB or CD/DVD, a message comes up when to choose on which partition to install: "Windows cannot be installed on this disc.This disc is of GPT partition style."

Here is the detailed "crap":

ASUS F751LJ Win 8.1 OEM
    Intel 7 5500
    RAM 6GB
    BIOS:platform X751LJ Flash type :MXIC 25L/U
    version 704 10-08-2015 (updated today)

As far as I could read on the net, the Bios is linked to WIN 8.1 OEM.In the meantime I upgraded to WIN 10.Even if I try to install a Win 8.1 Pro on an second partition, it doesn't work.You are bound to one system.

best regards

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    #8 oldsh_t, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Your problem seems similar to mine that I just worked out on a new Acer desk top with Win8.1, with a lot of trial and error!! I could not boot from CD/DVD. My BIOS Did not have the "CSM" in it so I checked with Acer and there was an update BIOS with CSM support so I reflashed the BIOS. Now I could finally boot my Win7 disc. But when I went to install it stopped and said it could not install to this disc?? I was hopping to install Win7 and be able to dual boot the 2. So I went back to Win8 and installed "Paragon Partition program" and ran that to make a partition. Could not do it. The whole hard drive showed as one partition with 4 partitions within it and then said that I could not make a partition on it?? Now I am pissed:mad: So I now popped in my "Acronis Boot disc" and made a copied of the whole HD and saved it on to my external drive. Then I dropped in "KillDisc" and wiped the whole HD out when that was done I used killdisc to partition it into 3 partitions. Now I was able to install Win7.

So the story is if your computer is setup the same, you will not be able to install any other operating system. The HD is locked down. The easy way to find out is to get and install a partitioning program and see if you can make a partition. Hope this may help you out.

8. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013
    #9 James Titan, Sep 25, 2015
    (OP)
    to make a partition is not a problem,but the problem is the system of GPT partitions.I have 4 partitions plus the system (C9) partition: 1 recovery part.
    1 efi system part.
    1 reserved partition
    1 restore ( install.wim ) partition
    I suppose that your disc is of MBR and not GPT, isn't?

I'm quite sure now that your disk is of MBR as you said you couldn't add one partition.As you had already four, that's the maximum on MBR disk.So you are a lucky man! On my other PC with MBR disk no problem to have 4 different systems and i'm quite happy with.But in this case what i bought it's pure crap.
    Nevertheless thanks

9. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    My disc was GPT but now it is MBR

10. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013

quite sure? with the same labeled partitions?

11. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013

as already said no possibility for USB port 2.0 and for point 2. same message as above: a required..........

12. droslokist

droslokist MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    #14 droslokist, Sep 25, 2015
    About the following errors:

> A required CD/DVD device driver is missing.If you have a driver floppy disc,CD DVD, or USB flash drive,plse insert it now.Note: if the Windows installation media is in the CD/DVD drive , you can safely remove it for this step."
    --> Proprietary driver, nothing you can do unless you have the original disk (and obviously of Windows 7, you won't)

>
    "Windows cannot be installed on this disc.This disc is of GPT partition style."
    --> Because you booted in Legacy (CSM Enabled) mode, you need to deploy Windows on a MBR drive. If a Windows disc is booted using Legacy (CSM Enabled), you must deploy on a MBR drive. Otherwise, UEFI -> GPT drive.

>
    I'm quite sure now that your disk is of MBR as you said you couldn't add one partition.As you had already four, that's the maximum on MBR disk.
    --> MBR disks have 4 primary (bootable) partitions max. If you create extra partitions, starting from the 4th partition, every partition (after the 4th, included) become extended partitions and cannot be booted (except some BIOSes, up to 16).

UEFI without CSM Enabled requires to boot FAT32 partitions if externals, while CSM Enabled requires NTFS partitions. Annoying as hell.
    Some manufacturers also drop stuff in unreadable parts of the drive to make sure you do not "tinker" with your computer. For "protecting the user".

What you can try:
    - Boot to VHD using Windows 7/8/10 boot, tutorial:
    hxxp://blogs.technet.com/b/haroldwong/archive/2012/08/18/how-to-create-windows-8-vhd-for-boot-to-vhd-using-simple-easy-to-follow-steps.aspx (can't post links, not enough posts yet)
    - DISM deploy (see below)

DISM deploy:
    - Create a NTFS partition in Disk Management (shrink your last partition, or create a VHD to boot to VHD)
    - Mount the ISO of the Windows installer (you can do without ISO, if done so use the correct path to the installer instead of the drive letter)
    - Launch a command prompt as administrator
    - Use the following command: dism.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile: <path to wim> /Index:1 /ApplyDir:<target drive letter>:\ ; usually wim is in \services\install.wim of the installer path, target drive letter is the newly created partition (or VHD), index is usually 1 if you are using a manufacturer CD/DVD..
    - Wait for installation
    - Use the following command: bcdboot <target drive letter>:\
    - Use the following command: msconfig
    - Check if you have 2 boot options

Use "dism.exe /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:C:\<wim installer path>" to get the Index you need to use.

Example:
    You created a VHD in Disk Management and its letter is E.
    Running "dism.exe /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:D:\services\install.wim" says Index 1 and there's only one, so you use Index 1.
    Run "dism.exe /Apply-Image /ImageFile:D:\services\install.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:E:".
    You waited about 10-15 min for deployment.
    Run "bcdboot E:\Windows".
    Run "msconfig".
    Click on "Boot" and check if there's your new entry.
    Reboot your computer and it's fest profit time for your eyes.

Recommended to use MBR if you want to dual boot with something lower than Windows 8 for compatibility issues. GPT works though, but Secure Boot must be off.
    If ton of drivers are not working/found, harvest them from your current OS (use DoubleDriver portable to harvest all of them).

13. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013

Thanks for your advice.Followed the tutorial and installed Win 7 on VHD ( MBR ).When starting a message came up: License error-Booting from a VHD is not supported from the system.

Now my laptop came with a 8.1 OEM which i upgraded meanwhile to Win10. I assume that the Bios doesn't accept systems lower than Win 8. My question : If i clean, full format and change to MBR , will i take a risk to loose a working Laptop.My idea is to go back to the old system where i can decide what and when.Before doing so, i will try do make an image from the 4 system partitions.But i will be sure that the bios will not refuse a new install of what i will.I appreciate your help!

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  15. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #18 xinso, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    1 restore ( install.wim ) partition means WIMBoot.

How can WIMBoot system be upgraded (to Windows 10)?

16. droslokist

droslokist MDL Novice

Jun 14, 2015
    > I assume that the Bios doesn't accept systems lower than Win 8.
    No. It can. Disable at least Secure Boot if you intend to boot from Windows 7 for instance.

> If i clean, full format and change to MBR , will i take a risk to loose a working Laptop
    No.

Full wipe your drive, partition the drive to GPT, and create your 2 partitions: one for your Windows 7 (first partition), one for your other Windows 8/10.
    Before installing Windows 7, format Windows 7 partition (in the Windows installation wizard) and recreate exactly the same partition: it will create 3 partitions for you. Install Windows 7 on the right one.
    Install afterwards Windows 8/10 on the next partition (the second is now the last partition). Format, and recreate the same partition. Install Windows 8/10.

P.S: if you install Windows 10, dism+bcdboot deploy the same way you could do for VHD (but on a real partition now). It is much faster and does not require creating specific extra partitions through a wizard. Windows 8 dism deployment has some issues with drivers from what I could notice when dism deploying to different manufacturers.

P.S.2: Windows 7 does not have dism natively (and no update brings it if I remember). You need to download Windows AIK and export the dism tool from it after the installing it.

17. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    Try Windows 10 ISO\sources\dism