Win 8.1 Pro x64 - Weird Mouse Lag in Games

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dback, Sep 27, 2013.

1. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    I am also a competitive gamer and all my drivers were fully updated. I had to switch back to regular 8 because of the mouse issue in 8.1 RTM. For what it's worth the mouse feels normal in Windows/desktop but it's when I'm in a game where it goes to s**t.

2. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    #22 TONSCHUH, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    "fully updated" does not mean they are updated enough.

It may be that some essential driver is yet to be released. Personally I have become quite suspicious of any driver that is not dated Aug 28 or later!

It may also be the case that a few system components have bugs in them that are planned to be updated on Oct 18. Windows 8.1 has not been released yet! And although traditionally by RTM, basic issues should not be surfacing, it is also clear that Microsoft had a different type of release schedule in mind before public pressure forced the MSDN "RTM" pre-release.

All that being said, I am still seeing a large number of driver issues which indicate some rather significant changes in internal Windows code that is much more similar to a new O/S product version than the "fix-up service pack-like thingie" that many people are imagining 8.1 to be.

4. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    I agree. That is why I am sharing this information, in the hopes that if it is a problem driver that it can be identified. This problem has nothing to do with mouse DPI, accel fixes, etc.

My specs:
    i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz
    16GB DDR3
    Asus P8Z77-V Pro
    Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
    Gigabyte AMD 7950

All drivers are fully updated. I always have the latest drivers from station-drivers.com and I am not a newb. There is something technically wrong with the mouse in 8.1 games and I am not looking for DPI suggestions.

5. NTAuthority

NTAuthority MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2007
    A similar issue also has been reported to occur with the original Windows 8 itself and a certain update released this year; oddly the same update for 7 has no such issues.

6. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    I have a fix for users running Win8.1 and weird mouse lag in games.

Fix: Disable V-Sync

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    I always have V-Sync off and haven't even enabled it in anything for years. To make sure I forced it off in the AMD drivers and the mouse problem was still there.

8. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I appreciate the people trying to help by posting that one mouse acceleration fix, but it doesn't help for me and makes my mouse movement really strange (Aka i'm not used to no mouse acceleration).

I expect my mouse to work properly in games from a clean install (just like it does in XP, Vista, 7 and 8).

Hopefully an update comes out to fix it! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Windows isn't the problem. The games are. These tweaks are to fix the shortcomings of the programming that people used in their games.
    Games that fully support Windows 8.1 won't have these issues.

10. ryan85

ryan85 MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2013
    Yes and no. The main games that I play for multiplayer are old OpenGL games and haven't been supported since XP. Yet they still run perfectly fine in all the newer Windows, up until this mouse issue in 8.1.

However the mouse accel fix does exist basically to fix a shortcoming. It's only needed in older games such as Half-Life 1, Counter-Strike 1.x, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal, ET, RTCW maybe a few others. Modern games don't really need it because they have raw input or DirectInput. It's not that the games need to fully support 8.1 as you said but that they need raw input or DirectInput. Some people use the accel fix in modern Source engine games like CS:GO also because they say the raw input implementation has some lag, but I have never tested these games so I can't say for sure.

11. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    You mis-understand me. I agree that the previous games work fine up until Windows 8.1.
    The problem, in my opinion, is that there is a big file-system-cache delay every time you turn around in a game and it has to load new graphics.
    The lag translates incorrectly to a mouse move that is further than anticipated, like it's calculating the move wrong or something.

I could be wrong. It could just be calculating the movement wrong. In my personal experience, they seem to be related. It could just be me though...
    I haven't tested things on a SSD which may have a lot faster loading times. It could be that they are less pronounced on faster drives.

One could also test it with a ramdrive program such as the one that AMD came out with.
    It's not a great solution, even if it works... I'd much rather fiddle with mouse settings..

12. dback

dback MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    #33 dback, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    (OP)
    Speccy is showing me that my Motherboard has 87°C.
    I don't know if this is the Problem, but my Motherboard is normally not getting so hot on Win 7 & 8 >.>
    I think i should go back to 7 or 8 :eek:

Attached Files:

13. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Don't trust anything that isn't either a physical reading, or your BIOS. My laptop "apparently" runs at 90-100C daily according to HWMonitor, and I know for a 100% fact this isn't the case.

14. dback

dback MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Well, ok =)

btw. None of the posted "fixes" worked =/

15. sunesio

sunesio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2013
    #36 sunesio, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Please... You don't really think that the critical stuff aka graphics or map elements will be loaded from harddrive WHILE playing? That must be some really stupid programming then. And that's not what a mouse delay / lag is, what you're talking about is a lag based on hardware. And fyi, it's always Windows why the developers have to write workarounds to get rid of stuff like mouse acceleration. But even Microsoft wouldn't be so stupid to make big changes from 8 to 8.1 so that every gamer has to hope that one of the million games out there would get patched by the developers so that they are playable. Many of them are bankrupt as well, so please stop it. It's on Microsofts side to fix this. Not the other way around. But on the other hand, Windows 8 / 8.1 sales are s**tty anyway and most gamers will stay on 7 while waiting for Windows 9 which must have a lot better performance in gaming before they'll even think about change a running system. So it's not that big of a deal for them. Believe me, it would, if every gamer would stay with 8.1 - But in such cases gamers just look at it, and if somethings s**t, they'll restore their 7 backup or fresh install.

16. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
  17. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Yah, who knows... I just know I get lag when my characters turn and it sometimes translates to weird mouse movement such that turning a little bit turns into a 90 degree turn or so.
    Perhaps there's a way to limit the file caching stuff when in games. You know how utorrent bypasses the windows read/write caches? Maybe game developers have to do something like that.

Maybe I just need to get a good Sata III SSD instead of my slow Sata II magnetic drives

18. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    Maybe check if you get this strange Explorer.exe behavior, where you get maybe an average 19% CPU-Load without any known reason, at least I don't know the reason. If you use the CPU-Gadget, then you can see that you get a 100% Core-Load which moves randomly over all cores. Killing the Explorer.exe (the whole process tree) and re-starting the Explorer.exe fixes it most of the time, but sometimes you have to re-boot the whole PC.

:)